Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Teaching a 9 month old letters and numbers?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM
  • 16 Replies

Really?  In my April babies group a lot of the moms are talking about how they are teaching letter recognition to their 9/10 month olds!!  Is it just me or is that WAY too soon?  I mean, I sing the ABCs to my daughter because she enjoys it and I'm sure she picks up on some stuff because I work on them with my 3.5 year old.  I even teach him through play though.  They are talking flash cards and such!

What do you think?

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarigoldsMama
by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM

LOL... I thought that was a little over-the-top too. They are just excited, I guess. :)

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I guess so!  I mean, I'm all for reading to babies but really, let them be babies!

Bethbeth
by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I think it's a little too much. I would be more for reading books, and pointing out things like "dog" and "sun" to work on learning words.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM

That's what they show on tv with the My Baby Can Read commercials...I'm sure some babies can...but not all...

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Yeah, I don't believe in TV at this age either

Quoting aneela:

That's what they show on tv with the My Baby Can Read commercials...I'm sure some babies can...but not all...

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I started flash cards really young.  I don't see a problem with it, it can't hurt, and I didn't force my son to do it, we just did it for fun on occasion, when he seemed bored we quit.  I got Sesame Street cards with pictures and words and colors and shapes, and now he is already recognizing words, and some of his books he can point out the words to me. He loves to read, we do 5 or 6 books a day. He is two and a half. 

LRBsMommy
by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM

My son (who is now 3 1/2) recognized all of his letters and the basic colors by 13 months.  He couldn't verbalize what they were, but he could point them out when I asked him to.  I wasn't purposely determined to make him learn the letters, I was seriously just experimenting to see what a child that young could learn.  My daughter (who is now 15 MO) can recognize 3 letters and 3 colors.  I started with DS by putting the "A" flashcard on the fridge and every time I walked by the card, I pointed to it and told him "A".  He had it down within hours, so I moved to B.  He was catching on so quickly that I just got out an ABC book and he had it memorized in one day.  I know it sounds crazy, but he is a very fast learner.  I think a lot of people underestimate how much a child can learn and how young they can learn it.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Feb. 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I agree that they CAN learn but I think they WILL learn without sit down formal education.  My son could read some words by 18 months without any formal education or flash cards.  We just played.

I just don't see a point in stressing over it

Quoting LRBsMommy:

My son (who is now 3 1/2) recognized all of his letters and the basic colors by 13 months.  He couldn't verbalize what they were, but he could point them out when I asked him to.  I wasn't purposely determined to make him learn the letters, I was seriously just experimenting to see what a child that young could learn.  My daughter (who is now 15 MO) can recognize 3 letters and 3 colors.  I started with DS by putting the "A" flashcard on the fridge and every time I walked by the card, I pointed to it and told him "A".  He had it down within hours, so I moved to B.  He was catching on so quickly that I just got out an ABC book and he had it memorized in one day.  I know it sounds crazy, but he is a very fast learner.  I think a lot of people underestimate how much a child can learn and how young they can learn it.

LRBsMommy
by on Feb. 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

:^)  I definitely didn't stress over it.  It was actually something he was very interested in.  He would sit with DH and look at the ABC book for 15 minutes or more.  He's always been super eager to learn things - anything and everything.  He's still like that.  At one point we questioned whether he was autistic or had asberger's because he was so into things that other kids his age weren't.  Don't get me wrong, we didn't sit and stare at letters an numbers all day.  We did the usual stacking of blocks and playing with all the usual baby stuff most of the day. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I agree that they CAN learn but I think they WILL learn without sit down formal education.  My son could read some words by 18 months without any formal education or flash cards.  We just played.

I just don't see a point in stressing over it

Quoting LRBsMommy:

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I didn't say anything about "believe in tv" please don't read more into what  I said.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah, I don't believe in TV at this age either

Quoting aneela:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)