Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Punishment/Discipline and Sports

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM
  • 9 Replies

Do you feel that a child that is "grounded" should miss games/practices?  Or do you emphasize the meaning of commitment to a team? 

by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
our3
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM

When DD was grounded she still went to practice and games. I emphasise on commitment no matter what. I dont want her thinking that if she doesnt want to play then she can do something to get grounded. So no matter what she is committed to her sport she plays, otherwise she doesnt join.

Mtocandm
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM

There are two things we never take away when we ground: Wednesday night church and Sports.  With church we want them to know how important it is that they attend church and with sports it's learning to stick  with your commitments.  They get so much out of both that we feel its more detrimental to take them away then it is to let them go.

staceyLM
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Im all about commitment to sports "following through" If grades arean issue though..and lack of focus on studies..I would make sure they don't participate...regardless of "commitment"

I do not think also sports keeps a kid completely out of trouble..I see many drug users involved in our school sports with attitudes etc..it donest fix a child..it starts at home..Thought I would add that in there

jbears536
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

for us I guess it really depends on what it is.  We do emphasize the commitment to a team but sometimes that is our last resort.  Our daughter loves playing sports so if her grades aren't kept up that tends to be what happens, but as soon as the grades go back up she continues, we have only had to do that on 2 occasions and both times  the grades were back up within the week so she only missed like 1 game & a few practices.. 

Other than that she is a pretty good kid, she is going through the mouthing off phase right now but we wouldn't take the sports away for that, in that case she gets phone & friend privileges taken away.

Mom2Boys9501
by Sharon on Feb. 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM

We emphasize commitment to a team.

My oldest was on the cross country team for the last 2 years and will be throughout high school also. In high school the first 2 years anyway sports can count as gym credit so if he doesn't participate he'll fail gym.

SoniaL
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Commitment to the team comes first. That is your word given so you show up. You get grounded form social stuff.  However grade trump sports in our house.

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM

No, extra cirricular activities are excluded from punishment.  Those usually involve a committment that involve others.  And it wouldnt be fair to the team/group.

kybella
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM

My DH and I emphasize the commitment to team.  HOWEVER, our DS grades have to be up to par in order to play sports.  If grades can't be kept where they're suppose to be, we pull from sports if need be.  We try not to pull our son and haven't had to but that threat still hangs out there.  I feel education is more imp. than sports IMO. 

If DS is grounded...he loses other privileges.

JennyMarie
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

No I would not ground my child from his sports. They join the sports and the teams depends on them..it is unfair to the team to do that. My sons play football and when they were grounded they still went to practice and games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)