Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

melatonin

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have/Do any of you used melatonin to help your kids get quality sleep?  My 3 1/2 YO is having pretty bad sleep issues.  I think he's waking up through the night, which makes him crabby the next morning.  THEN, he's skipping nap even though he's very visibly exhausted, which leads to a very frustrating afternoon for both of us.  I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do.  People keep telling me "maybe he's ready to stop napping."  He's VERY clearly NOT ready to stop napping, so please don't offer that advice to me. :^)

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kathy-PSPR
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

My son has taken it a few times, but he was 8. Here is some info I found for younger kids... http://nutritioncare.net/blog/2010/07/26/baby-cant-sleep-kids-have-insomnia-tips-on-using-melatonin/

SinfulBliss
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

My dd is 5 and takes it. IRONICALLY we ran out today and we're trying to get her to sleep without it...... lol

She used to stay up until 1am screaming. We tried EVERYTHING and finally her ped suggested melatonin. Best thing that ever happened to us.

One thing though- for some reason, brand does seem to matter. We switched brands ONE time and that new kind wired her instead of helping her sleep.

We get ours at Target, thier brand. A friend of mine orders liquid form online REALLY cheap.

HeathersRich
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Yes my 10 yr old has used it. We were suggested it at age 7. I would just check with his ped/psych to just verify it's ok at his age. If you go ahead start with half of a 1mg pill and see how it works. Some kids need more others less and age doesn't seem to be a factor. My ds takes 2mg (2-1mg pills)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannille33
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Nope..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamageorgie
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Yes both of our children have taken it for years.....it works well for us.  Start with a small dose because there is no need to give anything bigger than is necessary.  I believe we started with .25 mg but our kids were large for their age.  Good luck.

LRBsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Thanks, ladies.  My mom gave me a bottle of melatonin...each pill is 3 milligrams.  I'm planning to call the doctor tomorrow to get support from him.  I'm really out of any other ideas and can't take this sleep deprived kid any more.  It's hard enough dealing with a well-rested 3YO, let alone one who is constantly tired.

Keep the info coming!

goorob
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM

We were given the blessing from our ped but haven't gotten any yet, for our almost 4 year old.  He can't swallow pills yet so we either need to crush them up or find a liquid form which she said would be difficult to find unless we look online.

slimspady
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

My dd is on it. She has been for about two years. Her doctor ordered it for her. She has really bad sleep habits. She wakes up any where from two to five times a night. It all depends on her mood. She is  adopted and her biomom drank and did drugs when pg and the dr said this is one of the side affects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)