Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How young is too young???

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM
  • 14 Replies
To potty train a boy? My little guy is getting impossible to change his diaper, he's 13 months. He stands up to pee and hides when he poops already but it's not like I can "show" him what to do like I did with my girls, plus his little thingy isn't long enough yet to push between his legs. Any thoughts ladies????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JRose48
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I thought my son was ready at 18 months so I bought a little potty and tried and tried.  Then I spoke to some other moms and they told me they were waiting till their sons were around 3 years old.  They were right.  All the girls in our playgroup where trained by 18 months, but all the boys were after 3.  (Alex was 3 months after turning 3.)

Edit:  However, the peep being tiny isn't a big issue.  I bought the Fisher Price frog potty which in high in the front and my little guy pushes his peep downward when he pees.

CaitLilGav
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM
Wow, I don't think I can wait that long. My girls took that long but they didnt give me troubles changing their diapers. My DS turns and locks his knees together and he is a strong little booger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaitLilGav
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM
I'll have to look for the frog potty. Someone also suggested putting him on the potty backwards til he gets the hang of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kiddies4me
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

My little guy was 26 months when he was fully trained, young for a boy but its possible.  I sit my 14 month old daughter down on the potty while the bath is filling.  She still hasnt gone in there but when she does I will make a huge deal, thats what gets them excited- you have to catch them doing the right thing and praise them like crazy.  They do have a potty urinal, dont know how you feel about that?? Good luck!

CaitLilGav
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM
I didn't know that they have a little urinal. My girls would squat when they peed but my little guy will just stand straight up and pee. Maybe I'll invest in pull ups but he is still having loose poop so it could get messy. I'm just tired of fighting with him when I change him...

Quoting 3kiddies4me:

My little guy was 26 months when he was fully trained, young for a boy but its possible.  I sit my 14 month old daughter down on the potty while the bath is filling.  She still hasnt gone in there but when she does I will make a huge deal, thats what gets them excited- you have to catch them doing the right thing and praise them like crazy.  They do have a potty urinal, dont know how you feel about that?? Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemomof2nok
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM

my son was 3 when he was potty trained

casedellic.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM
My oldest was a little over three and I've been trying to train my youngest for the past year. He just turned 3 so hopefully he'll get the hang if it soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casedellic.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM
When you push them too young sometimes it's counter productive! My son is very strong willed, he wouldn't even sit on the potty for the longest time! It was a power struggle!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nangel5
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Just a suggestion Look into elimination comunnication.  Mght help some.  even if you don't do it all the time

SoniaL
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I think if he is fighting you like this on diaper changes you are going to face BIG battles if you try to potty train too early (like now). You need to concertrate on remedying this behavior antead of finding a way of not having to handle it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)