Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st date tonight; haven't had a date in years! (long post) POST-DATE UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM
  • 17 Replies

I belong to a few social Meetup groups, because frankly, I have no life. I moved across country in spring of 2005, and have yet to make any friends. The Meetups allow for me to get out a bit now and then, and the groups are not meant for romantic hookups at all.

Anyway, so one group I'm in is a dining out one. We meet up at restaurants for meals, and pubs for happy hour. I've been to two meetups so far. I met Randy at the first one (restaurant), and sat across from him. I joined in to his conversation with the person next to each of us, but it quickly became just the two of us chatting. We ended up having tons in common, so the conversation lasted the whole time I was there (about 1 1/2 hours or so). We stopped when everyone started to leave LOL! This was in July, and I didn't make any other meetups until a few weeks ago.

Randy became a co-organizer for the group, and contacted me through the group's profile page to see how I was doing. We started emailing each other, and I decided to go to a pub happy hour meetup. I knew he'd be there, so I knew I'd have a good time if we chatted. Well, we chatted for like an hour straight. There's definitely something there besides just chatting during a social engagement. He hinted at a movie while we chatted, and so a couple days later I emailed him saying I had a great time chatting with him, and how about meeting up for a movie, or coffee, etc.

We were going to meet for coffee at Panera after his church service last weekend, but I was getting over an illness that kept me home from work for two days. We changed our plans to dinner and a movie tonight. We work like 5 minutes from each other, so he's driving to my office to pick me up, and we are headed just several blocks away to a downtown area that has a great movie theater with balcony, and tons of restaurants & pubs within walking distance.

Gosh, I'm excited for our "date"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POST-DATE UPDATE
It was a real date, not just a get-together with two friends of opposite sex. We had a great time. First we went to dinner at a place called The Spaghetti Warehouse, and had great conversation the entire time. Then we drove over to the theater, and sat in the car chatting for a half hour, then went into the theater and chatted for another 20 or 25 minutes until the movie started, then chatted even more on the way back to my car (picked me up @work) and sitting in the parking lot. We ended up chatting for those ackward last minutes at my car, our hands getting numb with cold LOL, then we hugged.....and had the perfect 1st kiss (gentle & sweet). Right before the hug we expressed how much fun we had, and he asked if we could do it again very soon. He asked if this Fri or Sat was too soon for me, and I said no, that's perfect! So Saturday evening it is.

From getting to know him in the Meetup social settings, our emails, texts & phone chats, and on our date...I don't know. I've never, ever clicked as solidly as this with anyone. Not even my ex-husband (hence the "ex" part). This just feels different. I don't really have the words to describe that. Maybe it's my age (39)? I stopped searching for The One several years ago, mainly because I hate the state I moved to, and plan to move on in a few years. I didn't want to get attached to someone and get stuck here. No commitments, no chance of getting hurt, right? I've found someone who also hates living here, and who also plans to move back to warmer climates in a few years.                hmmmmmm   interesting

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singlemomof2nok
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Good Luck on your date and let us know how it turns out!!!

3kiddies4me
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Very cool, enjoy!  Tell us how it goes!

bethmoore71
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Thanks, Mamas. Even if our friendship doesn't turn into something down the road, he'll be fun to do things with because we have so much in common. Of course, I feel sparks, so I'd love for our new friendship to grow! He's 2 yrs older than me, never married, no children, a traditional sort of guy. Baptist, strong family values, wants to marry and have children (got that from our first chat in July). He's intelligent (he's literally a rocket scientist) and witty. Ooh, and much taller than me, yay! I'm 5'10", and he's 6'2".

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

It sounds like it will be a good time...just go slow (who ever listens to me? lol) and have fun getting to know him better. Are you also a church person? He might want to take you to church and stuff if you are not...just giving you a heads up.

lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Good luck!!  Definitely keep us posted!

bethmoore71
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I'm getting nervous about my date, it's in an hour and 15 minutes (5pm EST). I'll touch up my makeup a few minutes before 5pm, lock up the office, and walk out to him waiting in his car in our tiny parking lot. Oh gosh, he's going to see a mess in my backseat! Yikes, I should have cleaned out my car this morning!!!

yourpassion
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM

how exciting!  i hope you have a great time!!!!!!

bethmoore71
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM

...just went to the bathroom...caught the start of my period just in the nick of time. That explains the pimple that popped up 2 days ago!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM
:) I'm happy for you!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Good luck!!  Definitely keep us posted!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Im happy for you,have fun and be careful.Keep us posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)