Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public, 'Romantic' Proposals Are Too Dangerous!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM
  • 7 Replies
Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham
on March 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

At this point, a poor guy has to work his bum off to propose marriage in a creative way. Jumbotron, skywriting, romantic restaurant, blah, blah. They have all been done. So what is a poor guy who wants to create a memorable proposal to do?

David Jones -- a Cleveland-based video producer -- decided to propose to his girlfriend (now fiance) via commercial. She turned on the television at her hair salon and there was her boyfriend dressed as a superhero. Then he was there in real life, on one knee, asking her to marry him. Romantic, right?

Between proposing on Facebook and on CafeMom(!), people are using technology to propose all the time. The television is practically old-fashioned! But proposing in these ways is always a danger.

No one ever talks about the bad ones, like this one. A man proposed to a woman on a basketball court in front of hundreds of people and she said no!

Look, it happens. Luckily for Jones, his lady was into it. Their story is actually very sweet and romantic, in fact. She had cancer soon after they got together and he stuck by her and supported her, so more power to them. But personally, if I were a guy, I would go private. Just in case. 

My husband proposed by sending me on a scavenger hunt to all of our favorite places. At each place, he left a note sending me to the next place. Finally, we met on a bridge where he dropped to one knee and popped the question. Even though we were in "public," no one looked at us or said anything. It was perfect.

And then, of course, he had that to live up to. Nearly nine years after he proposed to me, he has yet to do anything as romantic as that proposal. What could he possibly do? Whisk me away on a private vacation (after arranging for babysitters and calling my work)? Serenade me John Cusack-style outside my window? There is nothing I can think of that would work as well.

Whenever people tell us what a great proposal story we have, it makes it clear he will never be able to top it. Not that I am complaining. It WAS romantic and wonderful and creative. It even got us on TV. But there is danger in giving it all away at the proposal. Remember, dudes, you're going to have to live up to that proposal. So, ask yourself two things before the big fanfare proposal:

1. What is the likelihood that she will say yes? Anything below 99 percent is a sign for a quiet, intimate proposal.
  2. Will I be able to continue very romantic things throughout our life? If the answer is yes, carry on.

How did your husband propose?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JRose48
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I said, "We should get married."  He said, "OK."

GLandDKmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I lost a bet. We were @ Cracker Barrel and he was fooling with the little game that was on the table. I told him he couldn't get it down to 1. We bet and if he got it, I would marry him. We had only been dating for about 3 weeks, even tho I had known him for a couple of years.  I gave him 2 tries. first one he really goofed up and the 2nd try he nailed it.  What i didn't know is he and some friends had mastered the pattern to the board game. So the next week, on the day i found out that my mother's cancer had returned, he slipped down on one knee at home and "seriously" asked me. We were married 3 months later. 

singlemomof2nok
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

It was in our bedroom and it wasn't very romantic.  Should have been my hint I guess, since we are now divorced

MomB79
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM
We went to San Francisco with another couple, who had been helping him plan for about a month, and he proposed at dinner. I ordered my favorite dessert, creme brulee, and when they brought it out there was the ring sitting on top of it and they had written "will you marry me?" In chocolate sauce on the plate that the dessert was on. I love the way he proposed. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I always wanted the big billboard at a BASEBALL Stadium on the big screen.  I always dreamed of it but the man I married decided he never wanted to do anything so public so he proposed in his bedroom an hour after New Years. Not the romantic thing I wanted but I still said Yes.

TableforSeven
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:32 AM

DH proposed to me over the phone.  It was perfect for us.  I would never have wanted him to propose in a public place or way....that was just between him and I - no one else needed to see/hear/know-about it.

sheri305
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM

He proposed to me randomly 1 day unexpected.We were alone,and I prefer it that way.Then later we had a cook out,invited everyone over,and announced our engagement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)