Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores in your house? (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have 4 kids, but wide age ranges, and am trying to come up with ways to lighten my load a little, while getting all the kids involved in the home. I've attempted this many times, but it never worked. Either I got lax and let them slide, or the schedule conflicted or whatever.

What does the chore situation look like in your home? Who does what? How often, etc?

Jenn

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM
I am the one who pretty much does ALL the chores. :( DH has a horrible work schedule and sometimes doesn't get home until between 9 and midnight so I'm the lucky one. Kyle will be 4 next month and I try to make it fun for him to help me. He helps me load the washer and dryer, he puts his dirty dishes in the sink and dishwasher, and he helps me sweep with his little broom and dustpan. :) Maybe you could do a chore chart with your kids and have them mark off each one they're responsible for as they complete it? And possibly come up with some sort of reward system. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justkeeplaughin
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM
I have tried too. I tell them there is 3 of them and one of me BUT the chore list never seems to work long for one reason or another. Even with a list posted on the wall with a time sheet with the time the chore had to be done by it has never stuck long... but kids always want the reward at end of the week. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Deb79
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM
My 8 year can do the dishes and loads them in the dishwasher, he can vacuum too but does a bad job and goofs off. My six year old son I need to work with him more, he needs to learn how to pick up his toys without complaining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Yeah that's a work in progress here too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM

my kids are 15,13,and 9 and i am still working on the chore thing.....when every one has a different schedule and activities they are doing its hard to make just one person responsible for just one thing......

RachBeck
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM

All three of my kids wash thier own clothes but my oldest (15) folds/hangs them all because this is the quickest job for her since she is way active in school. My middle son (14) and youngest son (11) do anything from sweeping the floors (no carpet) to dishes, but the main thing they do is take out the trash and the older one brings it to the road and then at the end of the day the younger one brings it back in. I find they like to do different things rather than the same thing day after day. So if I am just not feeling like cleaning the litter box I will ask them and if it has been a month or more since they did it they tend to not complain as much because the next day they might just have to unload the dishwasher. Then again the more things they have at school or after school the less chores I make them do because I stay home. But even staying home I still expect at least a little help from them and my hubby.

Stefono
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM

My 11 yr old does more chores than the smaller ones. Age does play a part. My 5 yr old has to make her bed when she gets up, put her dirty clothes in the hamper. She helps pick up toys and put them away before bed. She likes to help clear the table after dinner.the girls take turns helping make dinner, my 8 yr old does things outside. My 18 yr old isn't here as often(away at school) but other wise she helps with all the kids and does something (most the time) when I ask her.oops forgot to write, 11 yr old does dishes and takes garbage out. They all have to clean up there rooms, but 5 yr old isn't getting this done well yet. I just stick to what I feel is important. If I had to pick who does the best at keeping up with chores it would be my 11 yr old.But they all need to be told/ reminded of things, just part of being a parent. ......I have to say, that I did try to do everything for quite along time and realized I was burning out and I had to ask the kids to help out, I realized they excelled from doing things to help out the family.

owensmom34
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

My older ones have to help out with garbage, cleaning their rooms, mowing the lawn in summer.  They are so active in sports they don't have a lot of chores. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)