Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puberty, Periods, Teens and Products

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi.  I am a registered nurse who blogs about topics related to teens, periods, puberty and products.  Since I am associated with Tampax and Always, it makes sense that my blogs are about women's health topics that include the menstrual cycle, menopause and beyond. 

You may see me commenting on related topics.  Since I am a health care professional, my blogs will be factual, with a bit of my own perspective included.  Depending on the group I am talking to, don't expect to see me link to commercial sites.  Please feel free to ask me questions.  If I don't know the answer, I will research it and provide the most current thinking about it. 

I am also a grandmother with a daughter and stepdaughter, both moms and both in their mid thirties.  With that, you can imagine that I have recent experience in that realm. 

I wish you all the best today and appreciate that I am being allowed to join this group. 

Nurse Elaine

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinas8
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Cool, I have a question for you. My dd recently made the switch to tampons, but has noticed occasionally on insertion the tampon slides back down, and she uses pads on those occasions, what would be the reason for this and are there any recomendations as to tampon types that might work better for her?

Moms2NTwins
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I am not the OP but I know on lighter days tampons tend to have a harder time getting in place for me. 

michele82908
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Welcome. I do have a question.... my daughter has been having moodswings and is now growing pubic hair. She is 11. Can I expect to see her period soon? Thanks a bunch.
jenl123
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Hi! Could I ask a question too? How long do you recommend waiting for girls to begin using tampons, and could I introduce the cup instead? Thanks!
sheri305
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Thanks,and glad to have you.Welcome.

ZBandMom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hello and welcome to the group!

I have a question for you.  How long does a woman normally go through perimenopause until she reaches natural menopause?  Or does it vary from case to case just like practically everything else? I'm almost into year 3 and I'm getting tired of it.  LOL 

NurseElaine
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM

To Kristinas8:

It sounds like your DD may not be inserting the tampon high enough in the vagina. If the tampon is too low and touching the vaginal muscles, it may feel like the tampon is being "pushed" out.  If that happens, your DD could either try pushing the tampon up higher or  better yet, start over with a fresh tampon and be sure to insert it completely.  To insert. slide the bigger tube all the way into the vagina until the fingers touch the body - just the string should extend outside the vagina.

Obviously, Tampax Pearl is the tampon I would recommend because I know the most about it and have confidence in the product.  Also, I know that Tampax Pearl has been a popular choice for first time users because Tampax Pearl has a smooth plastic applicator and rounded tip for comfortable insertion, plus a contoured Anti-Slip Grip™ to make the applicator easy to hold and position. The Pearl tampon expands width-wise to fit your unique form, and there's a Built-in Backup™ absorbent braid for leakage protection. Pearl has a discreet, purse-resistant wrapper, with easy-to-open tabs.
•    Available in Unscented and Fresh Scent versions.
•    Smooth, rounded tip applicator for comfortable insertion.
•    Anti-slip grip, to make the applicator easy to hold and position.
•    Built-in backup braid to help protect against unexpected leaks.
•    Width-wise expansion to fit your unique form.
•    Discreet and durable wrapper with easy-to-open tabs.

Below is a link further information about tampons on the Tampax website.  There is information on tampon insertion, selection, as well as some offers for free product.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

http://www.tampax.com/en-US/products/findTampax.aspx?utm_source=cafemom&utm_medium=NurseElaine&utm_content=link20110304&utm_campaign=comm_mgr 

Nurse Elaine

NurseElaine
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM

michele82908:  

The first period usually begins about 1 to 2 years after pubic hair is visible.  Before pubic hair, you probably noticed that your daughter began developing breasts.  Generally periods start about 2 to 3 years after breast development.  Another sign is vaginal discharge.  Your daughter will start to experience white or yellowish white vaginal discharge around 6 to 12 (but up to 18) months before actually beginning her period.  But you, as her mom, are another indicator.  She will probably get her period within a year or so of when you got your period.

Now about moods!  Hormones cause many of the physical and emotional changes that happen during puberty.  Some girls can get really emotional during this time.  If you haven't already, this is a great time to talk with your daughter about the changes she is experiencing.  And, NOT in a one-time talk but in ongoing dialogue.  Set aside some private time for just you two, where there won't be interruptions or others around.  A good place to begin is to share with her what you experienced, as you went through puberty.  Not only will you be educating her on what to expect, you establish yourself as the knowledgeable, sensitive and loving expert, someone she can talk to about anything. 

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Nurse Elaine

NurseElaine
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM

jenl123:

Basically, a girl must decide if she is ready to use tampons. There is no age requirement, but she does have to be responsible and follow the guidelines for use.  While some girls start using tampons as soon as they begin menstruating, I recommend that they begin by using pads.  After a few cycles they may be ready for tampons, but again, this is an individual decision. Importantly, they must be able to understand the proper use of tampons and be able to insert the tampon into their vagina. 

Before using tampons, your daughter should know that a tampon should be removed when it is saturated, or within 4 to 8 hours of use. She will learn when her tampon is saturated because she'll become familiar with her own flow. If she sees that the string has any staining on it, it usually means that the tampon is full. Tampons come in varying absorbencies appropriate for different flow days. Your daughter, as with every tampon user, should be using the lowest absorbency tampon for her flow. If she finds her tampon fully saturated before 4 hours, she should be using the next absorbent size. If she removes the tampon at 8 hours and still see white fiber on the tampon, the tampon is too absorbent...drop down one absorbency for the next time.

Nurse Elaine

NurseElaine
by on Mar. 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM

ZBandMom: 

I hear you!!  There is some great information about perimenopause in a patient education brochure titled, Midlife Transitions: Perimenopause to Menopause published by ACOG, The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.  In the brochure, it says that, in general, perimenopause lasts from age 45 years to 55 years, although the timing can vary between women.  In other words, it can last 10 years and you are in year 3 of a journey you don't know how long will last for you. 

Sounds like you are having some annoying symptoms.  If you haven't done this yet, you may want to see your health care professional and let her (or him) know what you are experiencing to see if there are some recommendations that may be helpful for you. 

Hope you get through this soon!

Nurse Elaine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)