Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 yo dd is such a little piggie! Please tell me you've done this too??!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so Tatum is my little pride and joy. :)  I love her with all of my heart.  Only one thing... she's a total PIGGIE!  Her room is ALWAYS such a mess!  She saves absolutely EVERYTHING... clothes shoes, toys... you name it, she saves it.  Nothing gets put away properly, and Heaven forbid her dirty clothes actually hit her hamper.

She's a lot shorter than everybody in her grade (5th) and still wearing size 8 in pants.  Due to this, she gets all the hand me downs from her friends.  Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate it... but I doubt she's going to grow into them before they're out of style.  When we do get them, I go through them and things that won't go out of style (basics), I keep in a Rubbermaid box.  The rest of the stuff I bag back up and donate it to Goodwill.  Before i get a chance to get there, my precious little goofball picks stuff out and stashes it.

Every once in a while, when she's gone I'll do a quick run through of her room and get rid of stuff.... 90% of the time she doesn't notice.  Tonight, she's staying the night with a friend, and since I had LOTS of time, I ransacked her dresser, closet, under her bed.... you name it.  I have gotten rid of a garbage bag full of clothes, but I left her messy floor alone... so when she first walks in, it won't be obvious :)  If she notices, I'm sure I'll be the meanest mom in the world.... but I can't handle feeling like I'm raising a  little hoarder in the making.

Are any of you raising kiddos like this? Have you ever had to do anything like this?  I feel horrible, but don't know what else to do!

I'm divorced mommy of three and there are no "baby daddies". I'm a staunch right wing republican and a professional cosmetologist (hair, nails, makeup etc) working my tail off to make my own way in this world. I breastfed my kids and rewarded myself with a boob job to put back what the breastfeeding fairy took away. I believe in tough love, rules, boundaries, discipline and follow through. My kids do not rule the roost. They say yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes please and no thank you. Because of the values and respect that I've taught them, other people don't mind being around them. I spanked my kids just like my mom spanked me and we've all turned out fine. We're a hard playin', fun lovin' family. This is me, take it or leave it.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kristielee79
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM

My oldest DD is 9 and yes, she likes to save everything!! She isn't one for cleaning her room, though, since mommy cleans it for her. I can't stand the mess, and she doesn't mind me cleaning it!! lol...I'm sure that will change once she is a teenager and has "secret" stuff to stash away, but for now I am the mess-container, so to speak. I just never got the fact of shoving stuff under the bed when CLEARLY there is a trash can in the bedroom...ugh, kids! haha

jenmatt451
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM

My son will be 11 in May and he is the same way.  He saves EVERYTHING!!!  His room is an absolute pig sty!!!!  I beg, plead, threaten, take away privelages...all in the effort to get him to clean his stinking room and nothing has worked.  I will usually break down once a month or so and clean his room while he is at a friends house.  You know the only thing he ever says is "gee, thanks Mom.  I guess that means I'm not grounded any more and I can have XYZ back now".  And the only reason I clean it is so I can wash his laundry.  When I start seeing the same things week after week in the wash, I know he has clothes stashed away somewhere and it always winds up being EVERYWHERE.  I found a nice little stash of dirty socks in his nightstand drawer.  He told me it was easier to take them off and put them there when he gets in bed.  GRRRRRR.

NearSeattleMom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I try to involve my kids with cleaning when I do it . . . or at least let them know that I will be cleaning.  Then they can decide whether to have input or not.

Amyelitza69
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:03 AM

I have a 10 yrs old and is the same. But I have drastic things...If the floor is all mess....OK! I get a trash bag and put everything there. Then I left the bag there and make clean his room in certain hours, like 2-3 hrs.  I also check the way the put the clothes because if is no the way it suppose to be I dump all the clothes and make to re-due the proper way. I also cut all of those, sleeping over until I see they do their choir specially cleaning their room and keep it clean. I have 3 kids and my Dh is mikitary and most of the time he been gone Deploy so I have to raise my kids a tough way....Well, from  3, only one my oldest one is super organize and like to have everything in order. But my 10yrs old and my 5 yrs old, are so close.....And when I do what I told tell, like trough their toys away if they don't keep it on the right place...Is hard to deisipline them when is only mom in the house or single....But you can do it...I recommend to eliminate the gooing out to like sleep over, or going to play with friends aoutside....Is she get it done the right way she can play with her friends.  Keep it up! Don't feel bad, later on she will be thank you for that.

momof5hopefuly6
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Two of mine are horders. And I refuse to clean after them. I use to go clean out rooms with crying kids in tow. I hate that's still good I mean no leg left its ripped all the way but I fight to toss it. But my new husband made it a big deal. I can't clean up bc I am making them worse. So I left it his way. He gos in friday says u have till Saturday night to clean or I come in Sunday and trash. And he is not afraid of tears or screams. And yet they love him but if I did that I would be hated. I must abmit I like that he gets it done but I wont tell him that. He makes deals pick ur fav 10 the rest go. And they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemomof2nok
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM

My daughter would be that way if I would let her.  She is mainly like that with coloring books and pictures she draws

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

My kids are almost 6 and 8 1/2 and I MAKE them clean their rooms. I still hang up the clothes but they put their clothes in their drawers. I refuse to be my Mom. I am a Mom not a maid and thats how I put it to my kids. They want to do anything (even before Dance class or Baseball) their rooms must be clean.  Ever since they were babies before every Birthday and Christmas I go through their toy boxes and I just toss things away and they NEVER miss a thing :D  Honestly I do not feel bad about it at all.

Liamjamesmom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM
My son is still way to young to deal with this yet but I was that way around 9-10 and my parents gave me one week to clean and purge before they would do it and I would have no say in what was gone and then on top of that I would get grounded and they took everything outta my room for the said grounded time. I kid you not they packed up everything but clothes and furniture!! I learned my lesson a few days of a empty room not even a piece of paper made me keep up with the cleaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)