Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should you own an animal if you can't afford it's medical care??

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • 15 Replies

Should someone own an animal if they cannot afford to take care of their basic needs, take them to the vet for basic checkups or if they are sick,and to be able to afford basic medical attention?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

yet if you said this about having children you would get jumped all over but for a dog most will prob agree with you THAT I find sad...However I own two dogs that I very well cared for top o the line food and medical care when needed and I would not own one if i could not afford to take care of it.

sheri305
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

To me an animal is just like a kid,an occasionally they will have to be taken to the Vet.So if a person cant do that,then no,they shouldnt own 1 until they can,jmo.

MidnightRambler
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Ideally, no, but I have been in this situation. I took in two stray adult cats that would have ended up at the pound and possibly been euthanized. In my case, I did pay for their medical care on credit a couple of times but I do feel bad for people who don't have credit. My parents had this problem with their dog when I was a kid, but they did get the dog when they weren't having financial problems. Situations change.

Having said that, if someone intentionally gets a pet from a pet store or a breeder when they can't afford it, that is just foolish. So it really does depend on the circumstances   .

sweetsurprise13
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I say no and this is the reason:  My mom called me and she has a dog that is already on medication for a crushed trachea and they can barely afford that.  She is on disability and can barely afford her own medicine and such.   She just told me her puppy is sick  and needs to get checked out but she cannot afford to take him to the vet. The vets and hospitals where she lives will not  take the dog unless she pays upfront for the check up and then will not release the dog to her unless she pays in full the amount needed to treat the dog.  I feel bad for her and my sister but I personally do not have an animal because I know that if something were to happen or if it got sick I could not afford it and we only have an adopted stray cat that lives outside and I know how much it cost just to feed that along with others in the apt helping to feed it and could not imagine the cost to feed your very own animal and to take complete and good care of it.  

I really wish there was a way for her doggy to get checked but since she can;t afford it I don't see that happening. I did tell her to call the humane society to see if they had any places of help to go too but that is all I could think off.

This is why I think the way that I do.

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I don't think you should GET a pet knowing you can't take care of it, but if you already own a pet and come upon some financial hardships I don't think you should have to immediately get rid of your pet.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

tihone77
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

I don't think you should GET a pet knowing you can't take care of it, but if you already own a pet and come upon some financial hardships I don't think you should have to immediately get rid of your pet.  

sweetsurprise13
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Very true 

Quoting AmyG1976:

yet if you said this about having children you would get jumped all over but for a dog most will prob agree with you THAT I find sad...However I own two dogs that I very well cared for top o the line food and medical care when needed and I would not own one if i could not afford to take care of it.

sweetsurprise13
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM

i feel bad for my mom but she knew her situation when she got this dog.  ahhhhhhhhhh oh well. 

Shagara03
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I say no. This is something me and finance would argue about in past. I don't know if it was a phase he was going through but he kept wanting to bring animals home knowing we couldn't take care of them. First it was dog, than his siters farretts, then a pair of kittens. I know his heart and I know what he was trying to do but we just couldn't afford it. Especially not off of one income

misskimi78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM

No way. That's irresponsible. The pet had no part in making the decision to go home with a family. It's unfair that they would have to suffer because someone couldn't afford to take care of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)