Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying it forward.. ( I was glad to)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM
  • 22 Replies

It's not very often that I can help others that need it..

Here in this town so many farmers and their wives are to proud to except help.. and so I am usually turned down..

Today I went to the dollar store where this woman was buying her daughter some outfits for her bday.. They were soo cute.. and she had brought the wrong card.. Our dollar store only accepts certain cards.

Anyway the woman was going to walk away and I couldn't let her. I rarely carry cash and told her that I would gladly give her what I had if it would help. She had 15$ and I had 15$ between the 2 of us she was able to get her daughter what she needed.. She told me she felt strange taking money from a stranger.. and I told her that sometimes God gives us opportunities to show others that their are still people in the world that will pay if forward.

She hugged me and thanked me a million times and went on her way..

I was glad to help .. and I would do it again in a heart beat .. Times are tough.. and sometimes I have hardly a dime to my name.. I know how it is  to forget my card at home, or to simple be short on cash.

Have you ever payed it forward in some way?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ty_n_JadiesMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Good for you. I doesn't hurt us a people to show compassion and lend a helpful hand to one another. Hugs to you!

Dannille33
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Thank you... I don't take much or any credit really. Though many would think that sounds strange..

Helping others by giving them a little bit to make their bill, or just holding the door open for a woman with a child in her hands, to an elderly woman with a walker.. It's the same..

I had a hard life.. but one thing I did learn was .. live is hard enough with all that surrounds us.. why must we make it even harder ? SO ... I am just doing what comes natural..People do need to know that Compassion is still alive!

Quoting Ty_n_JadiesMom:

Good for you. I doesn't hurt us a people to show compassion and lend a helpful hand to one another. Hugs to you!

Flaca43
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Aww. You did a very good thing. You should feel real good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pebbles98
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

That was so kind of you. I can't really think a time when I  payed it forward. Around here we do that normal stuff. If someone has a garden we share the food. Then the person who got it, cooks it and shares the meal with the ones who gave it. When new people move in, everyone else welcomes them with treats. When someone looses stuff in a house fire we give up our own stuff to help them. If someone from church needs money, more is given at the offering, etc.. I dont see that as paying it forward though. Like I said in this small town those types of actions are totally normal.

Dannille33
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I feel good.. I mean warm and fuzzy in a way... because I know this can only happen once in a blue moon so to speak.. and it was more then that .. I'm not sure if I could have helped.

Quoting Flaca43:

Aww. You did a very good thing. You should feel real good.

Dannille33
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I wish it was like that here...

This small town kids expect you to give them money... city kids that is.. country kids you can tell know what hard earned money is.. and they  do not expect it.

Here there is so many farmers and they would rather walk out of a store then to take what they see as charity ..

Like last year .. I paid 20$ for this womans groceries.. she was upset that I kept telling her I could help her rather then her walk out with out nothing. She took my address and then sent me the money back.. with a thank you card. IT was the only way she would allow it.

I've tried to help more.. but it's hard here... I see it as being the right thing to do..

It's great your town is so close like that and welcoming .. more towns should be like that.. :) It must be great to live in.

Quoting pebbles98:

That was so kind of you. I can't really think a time when I  payed it forward. Around here we do that normal stuff. If someone has a garden we share the food. Then the person who got it, cooks it and shares the meal with the ones who gave it. When new people move in, everyone else welcomes them with treats. When someone looses stuff in a house fire we give up our own stuff to help them. If someone from church needs money, more is given at the offering, etc.. I dont see that as paying it forward though. Like I said in this small town those types of actions are totally normal.

pebbles98
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Quoting Dannille33:

I wish it was like that here...

This small town kids expect you to give them money... city kids that is.. country kids you can tell know what hard earned money is.. and they  do not expect it.

Here there is so many farmers and they would rather walk out of a store then to take what they see as charity ..

Like last year .. I paid 20$ for this womans groceries.. she was upset that I kept telling her I could help her rather then her walk out with out nothing. She took my address and then sent me the money back.. with a thank you card. IT was the only way she would allow it.

I've tried to help more.. but it's hard here... I see it as being the right thing to do..

It's great your town is so close like that and welcoming .. more towns should be like that.. :) It must be great to live in.  

It's a very small town here. Like 250 ppl tops! Most of the people have grown up together. New commers (like myself) have always been welcomed. Not a whole lot goes on around here which is good and bad. Good because you can relax just by sitting on your porch and occassionaly see someone going to the store riding their horse on the main street..lol  But it's bad because if you wanna do anything major you gotta drive about an hour away....or further, depending. Around here when someone passes away you get tons of visitors dropping off food. If the family has kids the local store gives them a gift card for so much free food. I guess it's all in how you look at it. Some times it seems like everyone knows your business..which can be annoying. But when you're in a bind, everyone knowing your business isn't so bad..lol 

htreveth
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:41 PM
I have paid for the person behind me in the drive thru at starbucks but it has been awhile since I have done that. I send stuff overseas every once in awhile to the Phillipines. I def feel the need to do more but I equally feel selfish when I am truthful about it, if that makes sense. I know I need to do more just because it is hard for me to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pebbles98
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Quoting htreveth:

I have paid for the person behind me in the drive thru at starbucks but it has been awhile since I have done that. I send stuff overseas every once in awhile to the Phillipines. I def feel the need to do more but I equally feel selfish when I am truthful about it, if that makes sense. I know I need to do more just because it is hard for me to do.

It doesn't matter if you help a little or alot. As long as you mean well while you're doing it. Some times you can only help others in your own way. Just because the help wasn't exactly what the other person expected, that shouldn't take away any positive feelings from your good deed. You did the best you could to help others while making sure your own family was took care of in the process. You should be proud of that  :)

htreveth
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Never really thought of it that way. That was very kind of you to say. Thank you (((hugs)))

Quoting pebbles98:

Quoting htreveth:

It doesn't matter if you help a little or alot. As long as you mean well while you're doing it. Some times you can only help others in your own way. Just because the help wasn't exactly what the other person expected, that shouldn't take away any positive feelings from your good deed. You did the best you could to help others while making sure your own family was took care of in the process. You should be proud of that  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)