Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

36 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi,  I am a mom of two, I have a son who is 15 and a daughter who is 7.  I am a stay at home mom, well sort of  I now take care of my nephew while my sister works. he was born early with difficulties so I take care of him during the day. Anyway I joined because I feel unsatisfied not haveing a career that would help my husband out financially, but I do enjoy being their for my kids, lost and confused!

by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
reche1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM

oh wow i think you just read my mind. I have two daugthers 6 and 2 im 32 and im going to watch my nephew (most likey just a few months) im graduating with my AA in may and i know i should go back to school and since my degree is general studies but i dont know what i want to do its depressing

Moms2NTwins
by Veronica on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM

this came up at the ballfield between us moms. I am 33, the other moms are in their 40's but one mom who is about to be or just turned 40 said the same exact thing she said "I honestly dont know what I want to do" sadly I know all too well how she feels. My DH says I give up too easily, which may be true. I went to college to become a nurse but later dropped out. Im not a people person. I honestly have no career. I had my oldest when I was 18, Ive always had small cashier jobs but mostly Ive always just been mom. While I love it at the end of the day I sometimes find myself feeling useless :o(

LancesMom
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM

welcome

MamabearC
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one who feels this way(and I hope it makes you feel better too). I'm 33;married and started having kids right out of highschool and have never even gone to college; or worked since being pregnant with my oldest daughter(13 years!).I've always known that I wanted to eventually have a career, not only to help out financially but also to have something that would be helpful to people/give back type of thing.I've always planned on going to college once all the kids were in school full-time.But now that they actually are in school full time, I have NO CLUE what to do or be and I'm feeling pretty useless,like I'm floating in limbo because my kids are old enough that they don't need me for everything now and I'm not moving forward with anything.Not only because I don't know what to do but also from fear that when I do finally choose,it'll be the wrong choice...I KNOW I need to just do SOMETHING,even if it's not the path I'm supposed to be on because even the wrong path can make you a better and stronger person,I just have to find the 'brave' in me to take the first step.THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing and letting us share and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that we ALL find the path we are supposed to be on!

mom5160
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I am 35 and have been a SAHM all my life.  I had my first child at age 15.  I would love to do something but have no idea what I want to do either.  I hope you enjoy the group.

M4LG5
by on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I would encourage you to take a class or two at your local community college.  I'm fortunate to have had great career jobs and the one that i'm in now is the best for me!!  I'm a college advisor for students that were formerly in foster care.  LOVE IT!! 

Once you take a class or two, try to recognize something that you can have passion for then keep going.

leavinglasvegas
by Member on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Do you enjoy taking care of your nephew? Caring for children with learning and developmental issues is hard work - but if you are good at it and enjoy it, there is a ton of potential for a career right there. Would you be financial able to take courses in developmental learning or early childhood education? So many children with difficulties are in main stream daycares and schools - it is truly a growing field in an economy that is shrinking.

If you aren't able to go to school on your own and it is something that interests you, it might be possible to work at a school or center that would supplement your education.

I have a career, but if I didn't and was starting out fresh - I'd think long and hard about what I enjoy doing and what I have some practical experience in and figure out how to make some money. Whether it's SAHM things -maybe a craft I am good at, or cooking, or organizing or childcare or even something outside that  - anything I have or would volunteer to do. Volunteering is also a great way to get a feel for a potential career. Spend some free time before committing and get some practical experience under your belt. Volunteer oppportunites are everywhere. From schools to hospitals to community centers. Even state politicians and local government offices have a potential for side work and volunteering.

For those that are looking further afield, think of someone you know that has a job that might interest you and see if they could mentor you. It's not just for kids!

Best of luck to all of you!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Good idea! :)

Quoting M4LG5:

I would encourage you to take a class or two at your local community college.  I'm fortunate to have had great career jobs and the one that i'm in now is the best for me!!  I'm a college advisor for students that were formerly in foster care.  LOVE IT!! 

Once you take a class or two, try to recognize something that you can have passion for then keep going.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN