Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Tennessee Senate passed a bill on Friday that would bar teachers from discussing homosexuality with elementary and middle school students.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

The Tennessee Senate passed a bill on Friday that would bar teachers from discussing homosexuality with elementary and middle school students.

Under the legislation, dubbed by critics as the “don’t say gay” bill, any instruction in public classrooms will be “limited exclusively to age-appropriate natural human reproduction science.”

Republican Stacey Campfield, the bill’s sponsor, says “homosexuals don’t naturally reproduce” and has argued families should decide when its appropriate to talk with their children about homosexuality.

But gay rights activists are blasting the legislation, which passed 6-3, as a form of discrimination.

It “limits what teachers and students are able to discuss in the classroom,” Ben Byers of the Tennessee Equality Project told LBGTQ Nation. “It means they can’t talk about gay issues or sexuality even with students who may be gay or have gay family.”

It’s unlikely that the bill will be taken up by the House before lawmakers adjourn this spring, but Campfield said he would push it forward in 2012.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23littleones
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I think that is wonderful!!!!   I don't want my kids being taught that unnatural stuff!   Our family does not believe or support the gay lifestyle!!!!  We think it is very wrong.   And we will teach our kids that it is wrong.   So I support them 100%!!!  Wish they would have this in CA.

Jennifer 

prettypaws
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM
So much for teaching tolerance... look for the bullying issues in that stayed to go sky high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM

well if that's what Tennessee wants then that's the way it should be. I love the Idea of have my state vote what we want. That's the way the country has always been, why change it? If enough of the people of Tennessee did not want this then they could change it.

I live in a state where I do not agree with the school system, but it's public so if I am against the majority I have the right to do something different, so I homeschool. 

excougarmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Right because you know, if we don't talk about it then it doesnt exist.

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Quoting mom23littleones:

I think that is wonderful!!!!   I don't want my kids being taught that unnatural stuff!   Our family does not believe or support the gay lifestyle!!!!  We think it is very wrong.   And we will teach our kids that it is wrong.   So I support them 100%!!!  Wish they would have this in CA.

Jennifer 

What happen to that in ca, I know the voters said "no" to teaching about homosexuality in schools but i did not keep up with it. 

Cemommster
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM

It has nothing to do with reproduction.

prettypaws
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Please don't forget to post in a few years when one of your kids come home with a gay friend or they themselves are gay. I can't wait to see how your intolerance works out for you.

Quoting mom23littleones:

Jennifer 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemommie3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Lol. I know right.

Quoting excougarmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on May. 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Quoting excougarmama:

I don't think that's it at all, I think it's more of this is an issue I'd rather talk to my children about. I mean the school don't teach how to balance a check book or what is a credit card, that these are real life things. Instead they leave it for the parents to teach. we parents should be responsable for teaching our kids some thing. especially these type of issues.  People should be very careful what they ask for. If you allow one thing then you have to allow everything else. this could go so far. 

sdgd21
by Diana on May. 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

harsh bad

Quoting prettypaws:

Please don't forget to post in a few years when one of your kids come home with a gay friend or they themselves are gay. I can't wait to see how your intolerance works out for you.

Quoting mom23littleones:

Jennifer 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)