• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption, Gay and Lesbians, and ....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

Months ago I had posted about how you felt about gays and lesbians adopting.

Most stated there was nothing wrong with it.. many felt a gay parent was no differen't then a straight parent. I agreed.

Now.. if a gay or lesbian couple wants to adopt say 20 plus children.. is that going to far?

I only ask this beacuse lately those I know have been stating that they cannot adopt more then 3 to 4 kids .. and they are in a gay relationship.

I can only go on a man I knew that lived a bi lifestyle for years.. that did foster care for 5 boys.. he seemed to loved the money that rolled in and not the kids. After a few months he was turned in a few times and 3 kids were taken. He decided to adopt the 2 that didn't leave. He has been through alot of classes and since has been a good father.( of course this foster stuff is different then adopting I know)

Anyway, do you feel there should be a limit on how many kids straight people should adopt, and should those numbers be less for the gay and lesbian couples?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on May. 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I think the number of children a person or family can adopt should not be based on their sexuality. At all. If a same-sex couple can afford to provide a forever home for 20 children, then they have my blessing, just as a straight family or a single parent family would have my blessing.

Dannille33
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I agree.. which is why I can't understand why they are limiting a few people.

Perhaps they have found something that isn't allowing them to say these few couples cannot have more ten 3 or 4 kids.

I have always felt that if there are caring parents.. and a safe and secure home. Then why not?

Quoting grneyedormom:

I think the number of children a person or family can adopt should not be based on their sexuality. At all. If a same-sex couple can afford to provide a forever home for 20 children, then they have my blessing, just as a straight family or a single parent family would have my blessing.

owensmom34
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM

No, I think a gay parent can parent just as well as a straight parent and I could care less how many kids they want to have, adopt, or foster. 

mommas3cubs
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I would much rather my kids be raised by a gay or lesbian couple, then be raised by a couple of bigots.And no,it does not matter how many kids, provide they can provide for those kids and give them the love that they need, it doesn't matter.

emilysmom8
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I do not think there should be a limit on how many kids anyone can adopt, I think every case should be looked at indivisual, if a family (gay or straight) could afford to adopt 20 kids let them

billiejo79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I have never heard of states allowing people to only adopt a certain amount of kids according to wether they are straight or gay. My mom and stepdad were foster parents for 20 yrs and have adopted 15 kids.They live in Michigan. I know in michigan you are allowed so many kids according to how big your house is. I still have 12 siblings that live at home.

Zetlandia
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I think there are limits about home size.
That those limits pertain to the number of bedrooms.
And that those bedrooms can only have a certain number of occupants (meaning the kids rooms if shared) and that those children occupying the same rooms are required to be age and gender appropriate.

This may have a bearing on the people you know.

Other than practical matters that relate to a childs standard of living, there really shouldn't be any limitations on anyone who's fit to adopt and deemed able and of capable of caring for however many children they can.

My husband and I were so limited with adoptoin options that it pretty much made it a no go.

He works i a profession that deals with people with problems, and those are precisely the kind of people who's kids are taken by local authorities to be rehomed and adopted.
Unfortunately these kids are rehomed in the same county!!

For us, this would create a security risk for any child we adopted.

Our friend adopted 2 children this way, and my husband knows the birth parents and their extended families.

And my husband was already 45 when we realised I "can't have kids".

We got lucky with one of over 30 embryos being viable for life!
Yey!!

darkpoetess
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM

No I don't think there should be .. There are a lot of children out there especially older children that have no parents .. I think its great that these people or anyone steps up to do such an endearing life changing thing .. 

AnnieMcD
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I think that there should be a limit on the number of kids a family can adopt or foster, period. However, I don't think that limit should be the same for all couples. I think most of it should deal with their income, stability, size of the home, etc. I've seen couples on Extreme Makeover Home Edition that have adopted 20 or so kids, and aside from the fact that their houses are falling apart, they're doing a great job.

I don't think sexuality should have anything to do with the equation at all, and I'm not sure why one would think that...

lizzig
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:42 AM

it seems funny to say but yes, i think there should be a "cap" on the number of children ANYONE can foster or adopt.  i know there are people out there with good intentions but people need to be realistic about the love & support they can give the children.  i read once about a family with 2 or 3 bio children had adopted like 15 special needs kids.  very admirable but the couple wasn't rich & it was a hardship on them at times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)