Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Art Institute, opinions, thoughts

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is looking to enroll in the Art Institute, the culinary arts in particular.  Is anyone here an alumni or did any of your kids attend?  I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions on the school.  Thank you!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I don't know anyone who has gone to an art institute but my dd has been checking them out as a possibility after graduation (next year).

lalasmama2007
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM

My friend went to the Art Institute of Philadelphia.  She liked it and was able to find a job fairly quickly, but that was many years ago.

TableforSeven
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I toured the one in Philadelphia with my oldest when she was a senior in high school.  OH MY GOODNESS - _I_ fell in love.  I wish I had that option when I was thinking about college my senior year.
DD didn't choose it because her plans are a bit different...but she really liked it.

jesmoore27028
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM

My sister did the medical part of it and that was 2 years ago and she couldn't find a job with what they did. I hope you daughter has better luck with the culinary part than my sister did. Wish her luck. I think it truly depends on the area of the Arts Institute that you go into on whether or not you will be successful.

Deb79
by on May. 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM
My DH went to the art institue for a culinary degree but never graduated. It is expensive and there are more academic classes than cooking classes. I've heard of alot of people graduated the program and never find a culinary job. So I wouldn't recommend this school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on May. 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM
No but best of luck to her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I went to the Art Institute of Atlanta for Culinary Arts...

It was a 2 year Associate's Degree. I had a total of about 5 non cooking courses in the 18 months it took me to graduate. The program has changed in the 10+ years since I graduated ( holy crap that makes me feel old...). They offer much more than they did when I was there. They now offer an advanced Baking and Pastry Arts degree, Restaurant Mngmt Degree and a lot of culinary classes that they didn't offer back then. I'm kinda jealous now! LOL 

I had a Pastry Chef position before I graduated. I am now a SAHM. I quit my career as it was not conducive to being a mom...I was spending more time away from home than at home and decided to stop right before we brought our oldest dd home from China 4 years ago. I do still bake cakes for people on the side, but not very often as I tend to become slightly obsessed and then I drive Dh and the girls nuts...he doesn't even want me making their bday cakes because he "hears about it" for months..LOL 

Claire

billssweety
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Thanks Claire!  My DD is looking at the baking pastry AS, then hopes to get her BS in restaurant mngmt, so your info was very helpful, thank you!!!!

Thank you everyone, all your info is very helpful!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)