Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty Pageants

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM
  • 28 Replies

Would you let your little girl participate? 

Toddlers & Tiara's style? How about if they were more basic, like no make-up, no really expensive dresses, no dying your kid's hair, etc...?

Were in in pageants when you were little?

What about your preteen and teen daughters? 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vix920
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I wouldn't, only because I don't have the dedication those moms have. If I had a daughter and that was what she wanted to do, she would get a shot. But to be honest, I grew up in metro Detroit and it pageants don't really seem to be a part of the culture around here. I know there are girls/women who participate but I never hear about them!

purplepeeps
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM
no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I was in Pageants when I was little but they were nothing like they are today. There was no "glitz" or spray tans, caked-on makeup, etc... I don't think we'd let our Daughter be in them these days. Little Girls are made to look like 21 year olds and that's sickening to me.

wedding website

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I guess I would for a 4H fair or something but not a glitz type thing.

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I agree completely. I was in a few pageants when I was young, but I didn't look like a 25 year old, I looked like a ... well a 5 year old. Which was what I was.

I wonder about these women who dress their little girls like streetwalkers (albeit expensive ones LOL) when they're so young. I wonder if they see how damaging that can be to their daughter's self esteem. 

Quoting Strega:

I was in Pageants when I was little but they were nothing like they are today. There was no "glitz" or spray tans, caked-on makeup, etc... I don't think we'd let our Daughter be in them these days. Little Girls are made to look like 21 year olds and that's sickening to me.

staceyLM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Absolutely Not.

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Yeah, the county fair types can be a lot more casual, and I really think they can be good for kids. But the glitzy ones are so ... gross. 

Quoting VintageWife:

I guess I would for a 4H fair or something but not a glitz type thing.

Strega
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Exactly what I wonder as well. It's like saying to them "This is the only way you'll be pretty." Pageants weren't originally intended for that---they were all about you displaying who you really are and being accepted for that.

Quoting AnnieMcD:
I wonder if they see how damaging that can be to their daughter's self esteem. 
Quoting Strega:

wedding website

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:04 AM

EI agree. That's what they were when I was a kid. I had a pretty dress and shoes, but I had my hair in pigtails and I wasn't trained primped and poked and prodded until I felt like nothing about me was alright as it was. I don't think we even had a talent portion... 

Quoting Strega:

Exactly what I wonder as well. It's like saying to them "This is the only way you'll be pretty." Pageants weren't originally intended for that---they were all about you displaying who you really are and being accepted for that.

Quoting AnnieMcD:
I wonder if they see how damaging that can be to their daughter's self esteem. 
Quoting Strega:

lizzig
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM

definately not the "toddlers & tiaras" style, probably not even a "natural" pageant.  i don't believe glamming up little ones is wise, sets a poor example for them as they grow as to what beauty is.

i was never in pageants, not my cup of tea.  if my daughter wanted to get into them as a teen i would let her, though i would try to get her into something else first. ;o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)