Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

The CafeMom Help Desk - Ask Questions Here! FAQs, Tips and Abbreviations...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM
  • 18 Replies

We hope you're enjoying your time on CafeMom and on the 30 Something Moms group!

If there is anything that we can do to help you get started, please let us know.

We are always happy to help answer any questions and share tips on using the site.

We can even match you up with a long time CafeMom member to help show you around!

Reply to the post to ask for help!

Please feel free to ask questions or request that a CafeMom mentor contact you.
** To reply to this post, click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of this post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

Tips for getting started on CafeMom:

You'll find Moms talking right on our our group.  Please feel free to join in!

• You may want to ask for advice or bring up a topic for discussion. 
    To add a new post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group. 
  • You may also want to join some conversations and share your thoughts. 
    To add a reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.

*For CafeMom FAQs, scroll down to the replies below.

Thank you for being a member of CafeMom and the 30 Something Moms group!

coffee  Make yourself at home and enjoy!

Robin, Steph and the 30 Something Moms Group Mods:
mumsy2three, singlemomof2nok, KylesMom409, owensmom34, Stormy6669, lalasmama2007, sheri305, e-doolittle, Dannille33, alayna04, sweetsurprise13, sdgd21, caramelmom, kyledavidsmom, T-Howe, AnnieMcD, JasonsMom2007, MarshaLynn04, tatar, momof754, angieluvslogan

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri305
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:45 PM

thanks

Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM

**Abbreviations (like:  dh, dd, piog, bump)- Scroll down to the next reply for a list of common abbreviations.

**Signatures - Scroll down to the 3rd reply for Signature set up information.

How do I add a Background to my page?
To add a background, click on 'Privacy+Settings' at the very top of every page.  Then, on the left,  click on 'Customize Homepage'.    You can choose different layouts for your background and change the fonts and colors on your page.  There are many different widgets that you can add to your page, too.

How do I set up my profile page?
Profile Pages - Widget FAQs and Tips for Setting Up Your CafeMom Page

How do I add friends?
To send a friend invitation, go to someone's page and click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture.  Once the other Mom accepts your invitation, you will be friends!

How do I add photos?
If you want to add pictures to the photo section of your page
, click on 'Add a Photo'.  You can set these photos for 'All' to see or for 'Friends only'.

If you want to add photos to a post, click on the 'Add a photo' link above the text box, browse for a photo that you'd like to add and then click 'insert'. You may also be able to just copy and paste some pics right into the post.

If you want to add more than 1 photo to a post, move the cursor below your 1st photo. Then, add the next picture the same way you added the 1st.

You may also want to use the photo widgets available for your page:
Photos and Slideshows.

How do I change my avatar?
To change your avatar (profile picture), go to your home page and click on the 'change my avatar' link under your current avatar.

How do I add or change photos and info in the kids section?
To add kids or change/delete any info about your kids on your profile, click on 'Privacy+Settings' (at the top of the page). Then click on 'Kids' on the left.
To Add/Edit/Delete something, click on the rectangle in the Edit/Delete column next to that child and then make your changes. Be sure to 'Save' your changes when you're done.

How do I keep track of group posts?
Click on... My Posts and My Replies.
These choices can be found by clicking on the Groups tab at the top of every page.

How do I add a video to a group post?
Click the 'Add a video' link above the text box when creating a post.
Choose the tab for the type of video you are sharing.

Paste the url for your video into the box and click on the 'insert' button.

How do I add a poll to a post?
For both Journal posts and Group posts, you can add a poll by clicking on the "Add a Poll" link. It is located just under the text box that you type in - in the bottom left corner.

How do I add a link to my posts?
Type what you'd like your clickable link to say and then highlight it. Next, click on the paperclip above the text box (to the left of 'add a sweetpea'). Paste the url in the url spot and then click 'Insert'.

Another way to do it is to just copy and paste clickable links into your posts. For example, if you'd like to post a link to your group, click on 'my groups' then copy the clickable name of your group and paste it into your post.

How do I leave a group after I join?
To leave a group that you've joined, go to the group that you want to leave and click on the 'leave this group' option on the left. 
You can also click 'privacy+settings' (above) - scroll down and click on the "X" next to the group that you want to leave.

How do I delete a group that I started?
To delete a group that you started, contact The CafeMom Team and they will take care of it for you! Just click Contact Us below.

How do I change my screenname?
Once you've created your screenname, it can't be changed. If you really want to change it, you can start a new account with the screenname you would prefer.

How do I change my password?
To change your password, click on 'privacy+settings' at the top of the page. Then, on the left, click on 'your basics'. You'll see an option to change your password.

How do I use my chatterbox?
If someone leaves you a note in your chatterbox, you can write back to them in their chatterbox or send them a private message. Some Moms have disabled their chatterboxes. You can chat with another member using the chatterboxes.

How do I get to The CafeMom Marketplace?
To visit the CafeMom Marketplace, click on the Share tab above and then click on Journals.  Scroll all the way down and you'll see Visit Marketplace on the right. That's where moms can post ads and promos.
To post in The CafeMom Marketplace, check the CafeMom Marketplace box at the end of your Journal post.

How do I contact CafeMom?
Anytime you have a question, problem, or suggestion for CafeMom, feel free to click on the "Contact Us" link - at the very bottom of every page.

For more FAQs, click here:
CafeMom Frequently Asked Questions

Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Some Common Abbreviations

WRITING IN ALL CAPITALS - SHOUTING

BUMP - Bring Up My Post!  When someone posts "bump" in a reply to a post, they are bringing the whole thread to the top of the group so more people will see it.  The posts on the group are in order of when the last reply was added.

AC = Adopted Child
AF = Aunt Flo
AP= Attachment Parenting
ATM = At the Moment
AYT = Are You There
BBL = Be Back Later
BF = Boy Friend (also sometimes best friend, breast-feeding or breakfast, depending on context!!)
BFN = Big Fat Negative
BFP = Big Fat Positive
BIL = Brother-In-Law
BL = Belly Laugh
BRB = Be Right Back
BTW = By The Way

CIO = Crying It Out
CM = CafeMom
CYL = Catch Ya' Later
DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc
DF = Dear/Darling Fiance'
DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband), Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc
DIKU = Do I Know You
DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc (can also mean Direct Sales)
DSA = Direct Selling Association
ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival or Edited To Add
F2F = Face To Face
FAQ = Frequently Asked Question
FC = Foster Child
FIL = Father-In-Law
FF = Formula Feed or Forward Facing (car seat)
FTW = For The Win
FWIW = For What It's Worth
GF = Girl Friend
HTH = Hope That Helps
IKWYM = I Know What You Mean
IM = Instant Message
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IRL = In Real Life
ISO = In Search Of
ITA = I Totally Agree
JK = Just Kidding
JMO = Just My Opinion/Observation
JUD = Jumping Up And Down
KWIM = Know What I Mean
LMAO = Laughing My A$$ Off
LMBO = Laughing My Butt Off
LO = Little One
LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots Of Laughs
MB = Message Board
MD = Meltdown
MIL = Mother-In-Law
MIS/DS = Mom's In Sales Direct Selling
NAD = Nursing At Desk
NAK = Nursing At Keyboard
OIC = Oh I See
OMG = Oh My Gosh
OP = Original Poster
OT = Off Topic
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PIOG = Posted In Other Groups
PITA = Pain In The Acronyms
PM = Private Message
POV = Point Of View
PP = Previous Poster
PTMM = Please Tell Me More
RAK/DAK=Random Acts Of Kindness/Deliberate Acts Of Kindness
RE = Rolling Eyes
ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROFLMBO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Butt Off
SAH(M) =Stay At Home (Mom)
SD = Step Daughter
SIL = Sister-In-Law
SMH = Shaking My Head
SO = Significant Other
S/O = Spin-off
SS = Step Son
STBX = Soon To Be Ex
TIA = Thanks In Advance
TFS = Thanks for Sharing
TMI = Too Much Information
TOM = Time Of The Month
TTC = Trying To Conceive
TTYL = Talk To You Later
TY = Thank You
WAH(M) = Work At Home (Mom)
WOTH(M) = Work Outside the Home (Mom)
WB = Welcome Back
WTG = Way To Go

WTH = What The Heck

Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM

How do I add a signature to my posts?
To create a signature, click on the 'privacy and settings' link on the top of the page. Then click on the signatures link on the left side of that page. Follow the instructions to add either a plain-text or rich-text signature to your account.

How do I add a Ticker to my signature?
If you'd like to add a ticker to your signature, try this...

Go to the CafeMom Tickers page (or another ticker site) to make your timeline or ticker image. Copy the URL for your ticker and paste it somewhere so that you can paste it into your CafeMom signature later.

Click on the 'privacy and settings' link on the top of the page. Then click on the 'signatures' link on the left side of that page.
Click on the "Add A Rich Text Signature" button.
Enter a name for the Signature.
Click on the "Add a photo" button. A pop-up window will open.
Click on the "Paste a URL" tab.
Enter the URL of your ticker into the Image URL field. If you have already made a ticker, the ticker site should have given you the URL for it. You paste that URL in the box.
When you're done, set your signature to default so it pops up automatically when you post.

How do I add a Blinkie to my signature?
If you'd like to add a blinkie to your signature, try this...
Click on the 'privacy and settings' link on the top of the page. Then click on the signatures link on the left side of that page.
Now open a new browser window. You'll have to come back to your CafeMom account in a bit.
In the new browser window go to www.glitter-graphics.com (or www.blinkyou.com)
(For this example we went to www.glitter-graphics.com and clicked on blinkies in the left column.)
Choose your blinkie.
On the preview page for your blinkie scroll down and click in the box with the HTML code.
Copy that code (control + c).
Return to your CafeMom account. You should still be on the add signature page.
Paste the HTML code in the Signature Body box and click add.
When you return to the signatures page at first you will only see the code that you pasted.
To preview the blinkie click on the Edit this signature link.
When you're done, set your signature to default so it pops up automatically when you post.

How do I add more than 1 blinker, ticker or glitter text?
To add multiple blinkies, tickers or glitter text graphics to your signature click enter after each code and paste the new code.

How do I use the CafeMom Toolbar?
The CafeMom Toolbar lets you add signatures and SweetPeas to any site on the internet, plus will keep you up to date on your CafeMom account. If someone sends you a message, adds a comment to a journal post, photo, or in your chatterbox, the toolbar will "light up" so you can click straight back to CafeMom to see what has been written.

Here are some Cafemom Groups that help create Signatures...
CafeMom Signature Groups

sweetsurprise13
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM

thanks so much for this!! woohoo for Robin!!

owensmom34
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Thanks so much!  This is very helpful!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Awesome Robin! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stormy6669
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Very informative! Thanks.

Julie7220
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I need a Cafe Mom Mentor to help show me around, i'm not quite getting it on joining in on conversations and replying, thanks for your help!! Very new to this! Julie7220

Cafe Steph
Today at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

by Head Admin on Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Hi! Welcome to the group! We'll have someone contact you to help. :)

Quoting Julie7220:

I need a Cafe Mom Mentor to help show me around, i'm not quite getting it on joining in on conversations and replying, thanks for your help!! Very new to this! Julie7220

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)