Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - DH and depression

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

My dh was out of work for a year. Last summer we moved because he got a new job. He is a teacher, budget cuts, and he was not rehired for next year. After he lost his job the first time he was seriously depressed, medication, counseling the whole nine yards. I am seeing (and he sees it too) the signs that he is getting depressed again. So he will be going through it all again.

I feel like such a b*tch because all I can think is, here we go again. I can't take it!!! I know he can't help it and it's not his fault and I would NEVER tell him this, but I just want to shake him and tell him to snap out of it. I know medically that is not how it works. I get that. I just don't want to do this again. I am horrible.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Dealing with depression is difficult.

I have a form of depression called dysthymia and I know it makes me a very difficult person to live with. Thankfully my hubby and kids tolerate me especially during depressive episodes. I know my hubby can see the signs before I do so I depend on him to point out when things go south.

The good thing is you and your hubby have both seen the signs again and your husband is willing to go back for treatment. I hope it is a quick and successful treatment for him, and you. ((Hugs)) to you both.

1plustwinsmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Thanks! I appreciate that!

Quoting mumsy2three:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Dealing with depression is difficult.

I have a form of depression called dysthymia and I know it makes me a very difficult person to live with. Thankfully my hubby and kids tolerate me especially during depressive episodes. I know my hubby can see the signs before I do so I depend on him to point out when things go south.

The good thing is you and your hubby have both seen the signs again and your husband is willing to go back for treatment. I hope it is a quick and successful treatment for him, and you. ((Hugs)) to you both.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

HUGE HUGS!!!!

Please.. don't be to hard on you. It's hard to deal with depression and all that goes on in life.

Lisa0626
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Your not horrible, your frustrated and don't want to see your hubby like that. It's understandable. I am so angry at the budget cuts in the school systems. I aslo have felt discuraged and sadened by the fact that I have this great new degree for education, but yet there are no jobs for me. I am frustrated as well. I can't blame him for feeling depressed about not being able to get a job, but he must know he is not alone. Things are really tough right now. But, it will pick up again. He just has to keep trying that's all. I know it's not easy. Good luck.

sweetsurprise13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM

i don't think you are horrible and depression is something that affects the whole family. I think it is great that you all recognize the symptoms and can gethelp for it now . I hope it all works out for everyone . hugs.

MarshaLynn04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM

your not horrible and you are not a b*tch.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this and your hubby to.  PRAY is the only advice I have.

1plustwinsmommy
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Thanks ladies!

owensmom34
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Depression is like a physical illness.  It takes healing.  Don't be hard on yourself.

SpiritFortress
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:33 PM

No, you aren't horrible. His problem affects you too and you need a support system for you too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)