Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids always think you have money.... ?!?!?!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM
  • 37 Replies

Why is it that kids always think you have money.. Like it grows out of your finger tips or something.

I'm so tired of hearing.. can we have this or that.. buy me this or that.

We live on a farm and the kids have chores and they have always worked for their money.. but then they go hang with friends and come back with this .. I need this or that.. a game or game station.

We have more then most and more then I ever had as a kid. I was raised to work for what I had.. I was never ever one to ask for anything.

Wow... how those times have flown.

Do you kids ever feel they need this or that... or ask for things all the time?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri305
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Yep,mine think we pull it out of our Butts! Sometime kids can be overwhelming financially.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

LOL .. mine do to at times.. and then I say.. " get to work " and they complain but really..

sometimes you have to work hard for those greater things.. my 12 yr old would rather just do nothing and make millions I think .. lol

Quoting sheri305:

Yep,mine think we pull it out of our Butts! Sometime kids can be overwhelming financially.

drdevault
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM

My son thinks that because you have a debit card you can buy anything, He is 6 , he also thinks if you have $20 you are rich.

Now when it comes to his money he is a bargain shopper, we like going to the thrift stores and yard sales now that it is nice out. HE will leave with a couple bucks and come back with 2 bags of stuff.

My dd on the other hand is 11 , for X-mas all she wanted was an ipod touch, I told her no way. I have 4 kids and there is no way I can spend 300 on them for X-mas, she got po and said then she didnt want anything.

The other thing is when we were younger we went outside and played all day until dark but now you have to yell at them to go outside.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I've been lucky... I haven't ever been one to give my kids money unless they need it for lunch at school and maybe a class  trip.. or the pool.

I am pretty good at just getting them what they need when we are out. My son wants this or that all the time because I wont get him money.. I will purchase something off line for him with his chore money if he wants.

That's great your Son is a budget shopper.. :) as for your daughter.. it's the female in here.. lol We are like that sometimes right? we just have to have... sadly as mom's we know we can't. :( down falls of being grownups..

and .. yes times have changed, sick people are out there... and kids cannot be as free as we once were..

I live on a farm though so my kids play till dark. SOmtimes I have to tell them to go outside ... they just like the tv so much... and we have animals so it's like.. get your butt outside!! lol They are good about helping me ..

Quoting drdevault:

My son thinks that because you have a debit card you can buy anything, He is 6 , he also thinks if you have $20 you are rich.

Now when it comes to his money he is a bargain shopper, we like going to the thrift stores and yard sales now that it is nice out. HE will leave with a couple bucks and come back with 2 bags of stuff.

My dd on the other hand is 11 , for X-mas all she wanted was an ipod touch, I told her no way. I have 4 kids and there is no way I can spend 300 on them for X-mas, she got po and said then she didnt want anything.

The other thing is when we were younger we went outside and played all day until dark but now you have to yell at them to go outside.

sheri305
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

A good example,Last Fri my oldest daughter got paid.She went to the mall and bought her and the baby some things,then came back,and asked Dh for money for her phone bill.When she knew she should of paid that first.Well he gave it to her,then told me about it later.I was mad with both of them.Shes usually good with stuff like that,but the point is that she knew he would give it to her.Then yesterday she received her CS.And she didn't even try to give Dh back the money.He didn't ask for it back,but its just the principle.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It's the " having your cake and eating it to syndrom" watch out... lol

really that is how kids are now adays... it's like they work so hard for that and they don't want to put in on bills.. some adults I know are like that to... but they don't have parents to ask to cover bills..

I think in time she will know it's not something you and your husband will do for her always .. and having this be the only  time so far maybe she's learned but really wanted to just spend.

At that age.. I'm sure we all did that... or thought about it.. :)

Quoting sheri305:

A good example,Last Fri my oldest daughter got paid.She went to the mall and bought her and the baby some things,then came back,and asked Dh for money for her phone bill.When she knew she should of paid that first.Well he gave it to her,then told me about it later.I was mad with both of them.Shes usually good with stuff like that,but the point is that she knew he would give it to her.Then yesterday she received her CS.And she didn't even try to give Dh back the money.He didn't ask for it back,but its just the principle.

sweetsurprise13
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

my son is always asking for thomas trains. lol  I have started teaching him about money and how much things cost. He has also started earning allowance for doing all his chores. it  is not much but it is teaching him to work for his money and to save. He knows that one of the trains he wants cost 5 dollars and he only has two dollars so he needs 3 more dollars and then we can go to the store and he can pay for it.  Also he does not get paid for every little chore. He must complete all his little chores and behave as much as a 3 year old can and he gets his little allowance. 

sheri305
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Quoting Dannille33:

It's the " having your cake and eating it to syndrom" watch out... lol

really that is how kids are now adays... it's like they work so hard for that and they don't want to put in on bills.. some adults I know are like that to... but they don't have parents to ask to cover bills..

I think in time she will know it's not something you and your husband will do for her always .. and having this be the only  time so far maybe she's learned but really wanted to just spend.

At that age.. I'm sure we all did that... or thought about it.. :)

Quoting sheri305:

Yep,but I told her that next month she better not try it again,lol.

GoneBad31
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM

My youngest son makes plans for my next paycheck then informs me of his plans later. Yeah...That does NOT work! It is incredibly annoying, but he gets nothing from me that way.

For instance, he will ask me "mama, how much are you getting paid because I want to ___________________..." Um, NO! LOL

hopemommy2
by Paula on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Quoting sheri305:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)