Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you be a some one that is a guinea pig?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM
  • 15 Replies

There are times when people go to are asked to do a trial for a medication.

Lately I've seen and heard about women trying a drug that prevents breast cancer. Now they are on it for so long of a time and they haved signed up to do this. Of course they are in good health and they have been assured it will not hurt them. Or will it?

So if sometime you read they were doing med trials for something you have, maybe something that would cure you, or prevent you from getting this or that.. would you be game?

and .. what would you have to know if you did consider doing this?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
our3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM

For the right price I'd do it.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I'm not sure if I could.

I might  be a little worried about the side effects..

Quoting our3:

For the right price I'd do it.

melissa632
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM
I would not do that unless I had a serious illness & every other treatment option had been exausted. At that point, what could it hurt.
As a healthy illness free woman, I would not be a guinea pig for some clinical trial. No thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I am right with you...

when I hear about people trying meds that have never been taking before.. I'm in all ahh...

I mean if they are sick and need something because everything else has failed like you said.. sure..

but... I think the side effects could be much more harmful then the trial drug.

Quoting melissa632:

I would not do that unless I had a serious illness & every other treatment option had been exausted. At that point, what could it hurt.
As a healthy illness free woman, I would not be a guinea pig for some clinical trial. No thanks!

quietsmilie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I have done it.  There weren't any serious problems, but it didn't really work either.

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Wow.. well I'm glad your ok after all of it.. sorry it didn't work. :(

Quoting quietsmilie:

I have done it.  There weren't any serious problems, but it didn't really work either.

melissa632
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM
Yeah, the side effects are what scare me. Maybe there won't be any immediate side effects, but what about 5-10 (or more) years down the road? Unless I'm dying, that's just not a chance I'm willing to take.

Quoting Dannille33:

I am right with you...

when I hear about people trying meds that have never been taking before.. I'm in all ahh...

I mean if they are sick and need something because everything else has failed like you said.. sure..

Quoting melissa632:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom5160
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting melissa632:

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I hear all the side effects they say on those commercials now.. and I'm like. . OM!!

and.. to think your trying a drug for the first time and there are no none side effects till some one tries them.. yes I see your point..

Some might not show up for years.. and if your already not doing well what do you have to lose..

Quoting melissa632:

Yeah, the side effects are what scare me. Maybe there won't be any immediate side effects, but what about 5-10 (or more) years down the road? Unless I'm dying, that's just not a chance I'm willing to take.

Quoting Dannille33:

I am right with you...

Quoting melissa632:

sheri305
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Quoting mom5160:

I agree with this.

Quoting melissa632:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)