• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Mom's.. is it their fault or their mom's?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

Since watching the teen mom's I've heard them say time and  time again.. " I was a teen mom and thought my daughter would have learned". Really though are they teaching their kids what they weren't taught? Are their daughters having more freedom or just as much as they did?

I being a mom of a teen who is now 16 can see how sometimes teens are sneaky in their ways.. I know a few teens in town and work with them. I hear about parties that are going on and how this person hooked up with this person. I'm glad we don't live in town, but I can say I don't think that would stop my daughter if she wanted to get to town.

So is if the mom's fault their teen daughters are getting pregnant?

or .. is if the teen that knows better? knows about protection and time and time again state they forgot to use it, or they didn't take their pill regularly?

Or their boy friends fault for now putting the condom on, or how they just wanted one time with out it?

I'm not sure who's at fault really?

I think it could be both..

What do you think and why?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarshaLynn04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

I dont think its fair to always blaim the parents.  Teens have their own minds and don't always respect or listen to their parents.Parents have to do their best job at teaching.  But if the kids refuse to learn... why blame the parents?

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Your right!

and.. thats why I ask this...

Many parents are so busy ( which isn't their fault) working and providing they trust their kids.

and then the kids feel they need to fill a void.. ( not all of them do but some)

It's hard to say who is really to blame but I posted this to see how others feel about it..

I like your answer.. it's a good one!

Quoting MarshaLynn04:

I dont think its fair to always blaim the parents.  Teens have their own minds and don't always respect or listen to their parents.Parents have to do their best job at teaching.  But if the kids refuse to learn... why blame the parents?

MarshaLynn04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM

you know you are right.  and I'm so not touching the subject of working mom vs sahm LOL!  I personally stay at home now.  When my kids are school age I will work part time.  I will do my BEST to be there and teach my kids with the best of my abilities.  I honestly have to just trust in God that He will guide us

Aamy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Sorry but the teens chose to have sex, yes its THEIR fault they had kids. Now a 12 yr old going around having sex, yes the parents should be more involved. 

MarshaLynn04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

oh my gosh i have an almost 12 yr old ss and I cannot even imagine!!!!!!!!

Quoting Aamy:

Sorry but the teens chose to have sex, yes its THEIR fault they had kids. Now a 12 yr old going around having sex, yes the parents should be more involved. 

hopemommy2
by Paula on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Quoting MarshaLynn04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I think it depends on the situation.  My parents gave me freedom where if I wanted to "hook up" with a boy and have sex, I could have --- but they also were open about teaching me that sex was not something to take lightly.  If I had gotten pregnant, it would have been my fault for not listening to what they taught me, not my parents.

On the other hand, I know of a mother who was a teen mom...she was the "cool mom" who let her daughter's boyfriend spend the night at their house and pretty much gave her daughter too much freedom.  Her daughter is 17 and has been pregnant not once, twice (miscarriages both times).  After her daugher had her first miscarriage, her mother said "they will try again soon".  Seriously?  Does the mother just WANT to be a 34 year-old grandma???

MarshaLynn04
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

hahahaha sorry but I'm 32 and cannot imagine being a grandma.  I have a 1 year old!

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I feel bad for the teen.. :(

I mean two miscarriages...that's so sad..and not to mention what it did to that girl.

And to tell her daughter they will try again soon.. what if she has another one?

Maybe that's her body saying .. STOP your to young. Thats super sad. :(

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I think it depends on the situation.  My parents gave me freedom where if I wanted to "hook up" with a boy and have sex, I could have --- but they also were open about teaching me that sex was not something to take lightly.  If I had gotten pregnant, it would have been my fault for not listening to what they taught me, not my parents.

On the other hand, I know of a mother who was a teen mom...she was the "cool mom" who let her daughter's boyfriend spend the night at their house and pretty much gave her daughter too much freedom.  Her daughter is 17 and has been pregnant not once, twice (miscarriages both times).  After her daugher had her first miscarriage, her mother said "they will try again soon".  Seriously?  Does the mother just WANT to be a 34 year-old grandma???

Dannille33
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Im 36, and I was a teen mom at 19..

I can't say it was all bad.. but I really needed to get my life more in ordred. It wasn't my mom's fault.. it was mine because I knew what I was doing and I ended up making the mistake of marrying the father who is my ex now.

I can't see being a gram at 36 either.. LOL

Quoting MarshaLynn04:

hahahaha sorry but I'm 32 and cannot imagine being a grandma.  I have a 1 year old!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)