Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TWO freakin' ticks!!! OMGoodness!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
  • 15 Replies

We were getting dressed for services this morning and the boys called DH into the room because there was a 'strange beetle' on the floor.  We go into the room to see a fully-engorged TICK on the carpet.  Just as I'm about to ask if they knew were it came from DS#1 starts screaming - he had touched the back of his neck and his fingers were covered in blood!
DH had grabbed tissues to pick up the tick and quickly used part of the tissues to hold on the back of DS's neck as we took him into the bathroom.  
He was bleeding quite a bit.  I ran downstairs for a plastic-bag to put the tick into (so we could get a better look at it later) and we grabbed a washcloth to clean DS's neck and try to find where he was bleeding from.
As I'm checking his head near where all the blood was (about 1 inch up from his hair-line in the back) I see something moving....another freakin' tick is there feeding on my son!  DH gets the tweezers from the other bathroom and pulls the little blood-sucker out....we add the second tick to the baggie.  While DH tends to DS - finally getting the bleeding to stop and applying antibiotic cream as well as TONS of TLC to calm the poor kiddo down - I take our little visitors in their baggie into the other bathroom to identify the TYPE of tick (we live in lyme-disease country....I learned a long time ago the difference between a deer and a wood tick).  Thankfully - both of our unwelcomed visitors are wood ticks.....so the only thing to fear is possible infection. 
We're keeping a very close eye on the spot where the ticks were feeding.  We're keeping antibiotic cream on it and DS says it doesn't hurt when touched.  If it isn't better in a few days, gets worse, or just worries me too much -- I'll take him to the doc.  But - he seems to be doing pretty well.
The thing he was most upset over in all of this is that he bled all over the collar of his white shirt and it is definitely ruined (it already had a small stain and I planned to replace it - so I've told him a dozen times today not to worry - we'll get a new one this week).

So - that was our morning.....ugh - I could do without another day like this.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom5160
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Bless your heart.  I can't believe there were two of them.  I hope he doesn't get an infection.  HUGS to you.

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM

my parents used to burn them

Mamamanic
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I hate when they get on you! Yuck

mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM

We have found 4 on/near us in the last 2 weeks.  Thankfully none of them were feeding on us.  I HATE those little buggers.  HATE THEM.

SpiritFortress
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I hate wood ticks! 

htreveth
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM
Oh my goodness. Your poor son. Stressful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbie623
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I skeeve ticks and when i would find one on me crawling i would be freaking out and screaming like a lunatic.  I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 2 yrs ago and never even remembered a tick bite me.   Your poor son. I hate ticks!!!

jeanellensmommy
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I heard ticks are super bad this year.

as far as the blood, peroxide gets it out really well.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:11 AM
Oh yuck! I'm thankful we don't have huge tick problems here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 6:58 AM

My oldest daughter was tested for Lyme Disease a few years ago.  She was showing possible symtpoms of it....though she didn't remember ever being bitten by a tick.  Thankfully - she didn't have it - but it was stressful.
Yesterday was a BAD morning around here.

Quoting newbie623:

I skeeve ticks and when i would find one on me crawling i would be freaking out and screaming like a lunatic.  I was diagnosed with Lyme disease 2 yrs ago and never even remembered a tick bite me.   Your poor son. I hate ticks!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)