• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your husband/SO

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM
  • 36 Replies
allow you to have guy friends? Or if you have guys you were friends with before you and DH/SO got together, is he okay with you still talking to them? Do you feel as if you need their permission/approval to continue those friendships?
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I don't need my husbands permission to be friends with anyone.  He doesn't need my permission to be friends with anyone.

TFour
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Ditto

Quoting offrdngal:

I don't need my husbands permission to be friends with anyone.  He doesn't need my permission to be friends with anyone.

TableforSeven
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM

There are men I consider to be friends....but I have no desire to 'hang-out' with them.  _I_ don't think it is proper to be too friendly with men other than my DH and I definitely don't feel it is right to be hanging out with other men....especially not alone.  I don't share intimate info or have 'inappropriate' conversations with any man but DH.
DH doesn't hang out with women other than me either -- he doesn't feel it is proper behavior.

It isn't about either of us not 'allowing' the other to do these things....it is a matter of modesty and respect for our marriage that keeps either of us from being 'too close' to members of the opposite sex.

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM

ALLOW?......BWAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAsidesplittinglaughter

I am not his daughter, nor him my son. We are grown people who dont require permission to have friends of a different gender.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Quoting TableforSeven:

There are men I consider to be friends....but I have no desire to 'hang-out' with them.  _I_ don't think it is proper to be too friendly with men other than my DH and I definitely don't feel it is right to be hanging out with other men....especially not alone.  I don't share intimate info or have 'inappropriate' conversations with any man but DH.DH doesn't hang out with women other than me either -- he doesn't feel it is proper behavior.

It isn't about either of us not 'allowing' the other to do these things....it is a matter of modesty and respect for our marriage that keeps either of us from being 'too close' to members of the opposite sex.

I agree with you 100%. And I think it has a lot to do with trust too in that if you're going to talk to any of your guy friends and vice versa. Being open and honest with your DH/SO is one of the main things that has to happen in order for there to be a relationship at all.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Quoting nodramamama311:

ALLOW?......BWAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAsidesplittinglaughter

I am not his daughter, nor him my son. We are grown people who dont require permission to have friends of a different gender.

LOL. I guess It is pretty funny when you put it that way.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM

He didn't ask me to give them up, but they kind of had a natural end after we got married.  I do miss one friend from high school. But he ended up admitting he had feelings for me so I respectfully ended it.

nodramamama311
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I dont really understand whats not proper about it. Do you think that every guy in the world wants to be intimate with you? or vice versa for your husband? What ever happened to grown people being mature and having grown-up mature platonic friendships with each other. I have many male friends who I have absolutely no interest in sexually and they feel the same way about me. What is so improper about that? Is it wrong for me to have a cup of coffee with a friend?

Quoting TableforSeven:

There are men I consider to be friends....but I have no desire to 'hang-out' with them.  _I_ don't think it is proper to be too friendly with men other than my DH and I definitely don't feel it is right to be hanging out with other men....especially not alone.  I don't share intimate info or have 'inappropriate' conversations with any man but DH.
DH doesn't hang out with women other than me either -- he doesn't feel it is proper behavior.

virgochild79
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM

My male friends are his male friends too so yes, I am "allowed" LMAO 

Mommie2Kailen
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM

My husband has NO SAY SO over whom i'm friends with.. I'm not a child, he isn't my father

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)