Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is a person suppose,,,,,,

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

to find legitimate work in this society?

I have been looking for work for about a year now and have run across sooo many "snags" that it is really difficult to keep going.

I have been out of work for about a year now and been looking consistently.  However,,, I can't find work in my field because I got my master's degree before i was hired and no one wants to pay me a master's rate (guess I shot myself in the foot on that one,,,, thought I was doing good for myself and that I'd be able to get a better position but I guess not).  Soooo I am applying in different area's,,,, however,,, in some of those areas I am considered "over qualified" because I have a master's degree (finally just started leaving that off my resume and ap's) and in other area's I don't have enough experience so they won't hire me (funny if they'd hire me I'd get the experience real quick. *sigh* LOL) and yet another thing I've run across is the fact that in my state they do credit checks and because I haven't been able to find work there are bills I haven't paid and therefore my credit is bad but they don't think of that,,, "they" see the score and think "she can't handle her money so she can't handle anyone else's.  And then today I ran across this,,,, I went to apply at JCPenny again, different job same store but because it hasn't been 150 days since I last applied apparently I can't apply again.  Another thing that came up with that message when I tried to apply was that the questions I answered in my first application don't match the qualifications for the job that I was applying for today.  Well DUH, its a different job but again I can't reapply until after the 150 days.  Here's a company that has jobs available and I would like to have one of those jobs but I can't even apply for them because of a date constraint.  Does any of this make sense.  (sort of retoriacle in nature.  Lol)

I am a totally able bodied person with no fear of hard work and still I can't get a job.  Sure I could probably go on welfare by now but to me that is using the system especially when there is no reason why I shouldn't and couldn't be working.  Just really frusterates me.  Especially since I would love to have any kind of job right now (withing reason,,,,, I'm not a mechanic or a plumber,,,, LOL)and I have friends that have jobs and they complain about them all the time.  I've looked at several of my friends lately when they start to complain and said,,, "well at least you have a job."  They just laugh,,,, unfortunately I don't find it to be such a laughing matter.  Trying to keep my head up and keep going (hard when the creditors are always calling and you have a day like I had today when nothing comes of your efforts) *sigh*

Thanks,,,,,,, just had to vent a little.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Hon, I am sorry you are going through this. Most people I know are having a hard time finding work. I wish you luck. Hope you find that perfect job soon.
Vent away, it makes us all feel better :)

AnnieMcD
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Try applying at hotels. Especially with the travel season just starting, many are hiring right now. Most don't require that you have prior hotel experience, in fact a lot really like people with no prior hotel experience that way they can train them up right in their own way.

You are right to leave your masters off if you are applying for basic level jobs, for the exact reasons you stated. However, once you're in the company for awhile, if you apply for management positions, your education will be a boon.

Hotel jobs are easy, fun, and generally pay well. I've worked in hotels for years, and I really wouldn't want to do anything else.

I hope you find something soon! :o)

thebailiffs
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM
I would recommend you volunteering in the field that you want to work in. I gained so much from every position not only personally but also every position has given me a leg up for the next job I needed.

You seem to not want to talk about the area your Master's is in, I am not sure why. Maybe you can brainstorm with you.

Do you see yourself in a career and not just a job? I say this because there are many areas of a career, but not A job.

Hope this helps
LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Have you gone to a temp agency??  When I moved from CA to PA it was the best way for me to find a job at first. I LOVE going through temp agencies anyways because if you dont like the job then you can tell them you want to leave and they will find you something else.

I know its hard to hear people vent about their jobs since you want one but are they not allowed to complain just because they have one??

I truly do hope you find something really soon that you like.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Hugs.  Hope things get better.

sweetsurprise13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM

oh I know how you feel and decided to volunteer to get some work experience since I have been out of work for the past year and a sahm. It is hard out there and it is just plai crazy for those of use that actually want to work!  

I am going to send you my prayers and hugs

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

This was what I was thinking too. Good luck

Quoting LuvHugs429:

Have you gone to a temp agency??  When I moved from CA to PA it was the best way for me to find a job at first. I LOVE going through temp agencies anyways because if you dont like the job then you can tell them you want to leave and they will find you something else.

I know its hard to hear people vent about their jobs since you want one but are they not allowed to complain just because they have one??

I truly do hope you find something really soon that you like.

singlemomof2nok
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Hugs and good luck

owensmom34
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

How about applying at temp agencies?  Sometimes that can lead into a permanent position.

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM

It did for my dh he has been there for 11 years now.

Quoting owensmom34:

How about applying at temp agencies?  Sometimes that can lead into a permanent position.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)