Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They shot it???

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM
  • 17 Replies
Apparently a pregnant cow was shot and killed last year at the California state fair.
So let me get this straight, you take this cow from her farm, put her in a noisy fair where everybody is allowed to go right up to her and she is expected to give birth there.
And she gets loose and you shoot and kill her? It's a cow!! They're not dangerous and they certainly aren't overly difficult to herd back into a pen.
But you kill it?
Smh. What did the poor cow do wrong?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Wow, that's awful. Poor critter.

thebailiffs
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM
From what I understand it was going to charge a group of people. Yes it is sad, but you can't have a crowd of people hurt.

It was a while ago, so I don't really remember the details.
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM

That is so wrong! They totally set that poor momma cow up! Wonder why they didn't use a cattle prong if she was out of control? How sad. Poor cow.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM
Poor thing must have been terrified if that's what happened. Those cows are tame.

Quoting thebailiffs:

From what I understand it was going to charge a group of people. Yes it is sad, but you can't have a crowd of people hurt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Quoting thebailiffs:

I figured there was details left out. But still they have cattle prods. They could have taken care of the situation differently. But I don't know the whole story so can't say much. I still say poor momma cow for being put in that situation in the first place!

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:15 AM
Yeah, I so don't know the whole story either.
But just taking them there is cruel

Quoting Stormy6669:

Quoting thebailiffs:

I figured there was details left out. But still they have cattle prods. They could have taken care of the situation differently. But I don't know the whole story so can't say much. I still say poor momma cow for being put in that situation in the first place!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:18 AM
Yes, the whole thing is sad and I hope that changes are made in how they deal with the animals in crowded areas. But do you guys remember the San Francisco zoo experience, where the tiger KILLED a man?

Cows are very big and could easily kills someone by knocking them over. A cattle prong is not going to stop a big cow from charging the public.

Sad, yes.
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:21 AM

She should have been in her barn, in her safe spot. Not set on display, for who knows how many people to see, to give birth. Could you just imagine? Some people really do not have common sense when they do stupid things like this. Sorry, had to vent. Got me a lil hot there for a minute..haha

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah, I so don't know the whole story either.
But just taking them there is cruel

Quoting Stormy6669:

Quoting thebailiffs:

Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:23 AM

You are right, and I am sure they did what they thought was best. I was just saying, poor momma cow. And now orphaned or dead baby calf.

Quoting thebailiffs:

Yes, the whole thing is sad and I hope that changes are made in how they deal with the animals in crowded areas. But do you guys remember the San Francisco zoo experience, where the tiger KILLED a man?

Cows are very big and could easily kills someone by knocking them over. A cattle prong is not going to stop a big cow from charging the public.

Sad, yes.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM
Yes but tigers and cows are completely different. I live in the country and my parents own cows. Generally tame ones are babies, will walk on a lead and everything. And cows that aren't tame just run. They don't attack unless they feel they dont have a choice.

Quoting thebailiffs:

Sad, yes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)