Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Changing careers at 33?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 6 Replies

I"ve been doing the same thing (office admin/administrative assistant type) for over 10 years. I had a few brief waitressing stints inbetween the 2 long term jobs I've had. I'm working right now for a small business owned by my family and the pay is sucky to say the least. I'm a recently divorced single mom of 4, and drowning financially. I'm looking at loosing my house in the very near future, and probably going bankrupt as well. Sigh. I'm looking at the same salary for at least a year if I stay here, and marginal increase if I start looking for another job in the same field. At most, I could maybe land a job paying $100 bucks more then what I make now. 

So, I'm thinking about getting into nursing. And just briefly talking to a few people (my bf's SIL who's a rn and my brother who's a paramedic), I'm getting so confused..lol

The options as I see them are a) start in a nursing home. They will give paid training to be a CNA, and over the course of the next 18-24 mnths you can work your way up to RN, but you end up "owing" them 3-5 years of employment. Benefits..I get paid as I go. Or b) go to a 2 yr RN program thru the local nursing college, which Idk how that all works...do you get paid to work as you go through school? Would I have to keep my current job and do FT school on top of that? ACK! and they want transcripts, and GED proof, etc....I haven't been in school since I was 16, and got my GED when I was 18. I have no college at all.

IDk how this all works, and I'm intimidated by it.

So..long story short...who has switched careers in thier 30's? What did you switch from/to? Anyone who has become a RN that would have advice on the best way to get there? Anyone with any advice at all?

Jenn

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
troll.mom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM

are there any executive assistant positions available in your area?  i know by me an AA usually starts at $30-$40K and an EA starting salary is $60-$80K.

Head AAs or Office Managers usually get paid a little more as well.. have you tried head hunters?

the only switch i made was accounting assistant to admin to executive assist, back to accounting assistant to then a CFO.  but my AA & EA postions were always in finance.

as for RNs by me pretty soon every hospital will be requiring a BA for their nurses. good luck

sheri305
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Bump,and best wishes.

joeykttn
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I'm making 26k now. That's about avg for AA here. EA is about 35k. 

by head hunter, do you mean a staffing agency?

Quoting troll.mom:

are there any executive assistant positions available in your area?  i know by me an AA usually starts at $30-$40K and an EA starting salary is $60-$80K.

Head AAs or Office Managers usually get paid a little more as well.. have you tried head hunters?

Jenn

singlemomof2nok
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM

bump!  Good luck!

troll.mom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

yes... head hunter - staffing company..  also monster.com (if they are still around, its been about 6 years since i last worked

Quoting joeykttn:

I'm making 26k now. That's about avg for AA here. EA is about 35k. 

by head hunter, do you mean a staffing agency?

Quoting troll.mom:

A.mom2five
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Hey girl!  I am 34 and changing jobs too....I have been in childcare for 0ver 14 years and now run my own home daycare now...I am so ready for change...so I understand....I am going to go back t oschool for nursing!!!!!  I have appt. next week with advisor..Its scary but exciting at same time....Just look up some schools in your area to get idea of their classes and prices....Call and ask questions if you have too....As far as a job goes I dont know what to say...I am confussed in that part too:(  good luck and hope i helped a little....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)