Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Could Lose Sight From $20 Contacts Bought At Beauty Supply Store

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

Teen Could Lose Sight From Cheap Contacts

A New York teen will need a cornea transplant after a defective pair of colored contacts bought from a beauty supply store gave her a sight threatening eye infection.

Erica Barnes, 14, bought a pair of colored contacts from a beauty supply store on Jamaica Ave in New York City.

After falling asleep with the contacts in, the girl says she woke up in intense pain.

“I couldn't open my eyes. And every time I tried it started hurting more,” says Barnes.

The faulty contacts had led to a serious eye infection, causing cornea scarring that will require a cornea transplants to save the girls sight.

“The population that is targeted here is a very vulnerable population of young teenage girls who will do a lot for cosmetic purposes, and it's absolutely illegal,” says Dr. Anne Steiner.

Federal law requires all contacts to be purchased by prescription only.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM

That is SO sad.  My son needs reading glasses but he's only 4.  I'm actually glad hubby can't wear contacts.  They scare me.

deccaf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I wear contacts, but they are strictly prescription.  I feel bad for the kid and think he would have a case against the store, as he couldn't have had a prescription, as required, and a beauty supply store would not have the proper certification to fill a prescription for contacts.

AmyG1976
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM

kids should not be allowed to buy them if she bought them herself then that store should be heald liable if her parents bought them well... they should of known better unless she had a script anyway (you can get a script with nothing in them just for color) so she would know proper size she needed have proper in instruction for how to wear clean carefor ect. 

chinosruca
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM
"Federal law requires all contacts to be purchased by prescription only."

2 things:

1. Why did the store sell it? They should be held accountable.

2. Did the parents know about them wearing these contacts? If so, why did they allow it? If not, huge lesson learned.

I guess because I have worn glasses/contacts almost all of my life so I know that one needs a prescription even if they have no vision correction needs. I take vision issues seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The parents could not have purchased them without a prescription, either.  This store was acting outside of it's legal authority.  They should not have had them anywhere in the store, as they are a beauty supply store, not a pharmacy, eye doctor or anyone who would have a reasonable excuse to dispense such items.

Quoting AmyG1976:

kids should not be allowed to buy them if she bought them herself then that store should be heald liable if her parents bought them well... they should of known better unless she had a script anyway (you can get a script with nothing in them just for color) so she would know proper size she needed have proper in instruction for how to wear clean carefor ect. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Wow that is so sad. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM
wow
Reeree331
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 10:48 PM
We need to teach our young Daughters that Natural beauty doesn't need to be Enhanced
DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM

There are stores all over that sell these types of contacts, they are sold in all of the Halloween stores and most costume stores, they are supposed to be for theatrical use, left in for very short periods of time and not made with the same quality that vision correcting contacts are. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)