Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Electric Bill..

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Well I need help.. I live in ARIZONA.. Our electricity bill has been 200 dollars a month and it is killing US financially. I need help i dont know how to reduce, what to keep it at?? Can you all give me tips on how to reduce my electric bill please??

oh, also we live in a 2 bedroom apartment thats 900 sq feet.

please help me figure out to reduce my bill. I dont know how.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Unplug what you don't use (toaster, coffee pot, etc) and run your A/C at about 78.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Arizona is a HOT one...I remember 200 and 300 electric bills well....Especially now....We would get foil and put over our windows...My mom always said "You HAVE to live like a mole in the summer"...Maybe also get those heat/cold reflecting curtains?...Take care hon...It IS hard..

Gryeyedgrl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM
Turn off the dry cycle on your dishwasher if you have one. Check out you utility co web page, mibe has tips on saving and right now they are giving away free high efficency light bulbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wiard4jesus
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM
I'm trying to lower ours as well because ours is $575~$700+ a month...I've started making sure lights were off after leaving that room,Keeping our thermomostat at one setting & not changing it often,and also unplug things I'm not using...Our bill dropped $100 this month:) I don't do this but some people line dry their clothes during the summer if you have a private backyard...I'm hoping I can get some tips as well...Good Luck..
Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I am also in AZ. Northern AZ. My bill runs around $200 or more during the summer and even higher then that in the winter.
To reduce my bill I am a stickler about turning lights off. We changed all our lights to the new CRF light-bulbs. I hang clothes out when weather permits. Which in AZ during the summer you should have lots of luck. I have a swamp cooler and I know it is cheaper then an AC unit. I sealed all cracks around the window seals. I open windows and keep lights off all day. I try to cook many meals at once. If I am gonna make a meatloaf, since I already have the oven on I make a few along with meatballs, stuffed bell peppers, etc. Then freeze. I only wash a load of laundry or run the dishwasher when I have a full load. I always use cold water.  I am always looking for ways to cut back on my bill. APS is raping us! They recently raised our rates as well. Oh yea.
Message me and let me know where in AZ you are and I may be able to help you with some rescources that could help you.

Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Unplug what you don't use (toaster, coffee pot, etc) and run your A/C at about 78.  

Unplugging unused appliances, especially chargers like cell phone, ipod, etc will really help. Most people are not aware how they still let out energy just for being plugged in.

Stormy6669
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM

OP, is your house all electric or do you pay for gas also?

kaos2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I don't know if someone has said this already and I don't know if AZ does this but here in Al ours were getting high so we put ours on budget billing. See if your power company has that

connorsmom2009
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Quoting kaos2:

I don't know if someone has said this already and I don't know if AZ does this but here in Al ours were getting high so we put ours on budget billing. See if your power company has that

we dont qualify because we have bad creadit so if you have any other ideas let me know..

connorsmom2009
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Quoting Stormy6669:

OP, is your house all electric or do you pay for gas also?

all electric.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)