Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vampire Bats: Scary or Not Really?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM
  • 6 Replies

I saw this article at http://www.sodahead.com/

Before you even think about this question, take a look at this picture:

picture

Yup -- we're scared now, too.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States has recorded its first death from a vampire bat bite, msnbc.com reports.

But don't panic -- turns out, the victim was bitten in Mexico.

Last July, a 19-year-old Mexican migrant was working at a Louisiana sugar cane plantation when he complained of fatigue, shoulder pain and numbness.

Later, he developed a fever, an elevated white blood cell count and trouble breathing.

An investigation later discovered that a vampire bat bit him on the heel of his foot while he was sleeping back home in Mexico.

The bat had transmitted rabies, a common complication from vampire bat bites in central and South America. The man died a month later. To make matters worse, people who had shared drinking vessels with him could have caught the disease, but no one did.

Even though there are no vampire bats in the United States outside of zoos, we find this news pretty frightening. We didn't even know that vampire bats existed, let alone that they survive on blood

We're not even sure the entire Cullen clan could tackle this creature. Now, Team Jacob, on the other hand...

ARE YOU CONCERNED?

image source:  http://www.sodahead.com/

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM

nope.   it's pretty well known that if you get bitten by a wild animal, you should be treated for rabies.  if he had done so, he might have lived.  seeing as how he's from an area where it happens more frequently, he was better educated about it than we would be here.  no one seems to be afraid of squirrels or raccoons.  there are outbreaks of rabies in those populations every year.  

babybabe
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

no, not really.

Gryeyedgrl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM
I cant say I am loosing any sleep over vampire bats. There are a ton of bats around my house, I think they are cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dannille33
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The bat looks scary.. the chances that I might find one or it find me.. well I think that is slim to none.. lol

Strega
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM
We have Bats in the Woods in our Backyard. It's always been cool to watch them fly at night. We did have one that got into the Garage when I was younger and we had to call the Wildlife people to get him out. In general, they really don't scare me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM
One death from one with rabies? Not concerned at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)