Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You should need a license to parent! (venting)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM
  • 23 Replies

I have a friend who was such a good mom when her kids were younger, and I am friends with her daughters on facebook now.  They are 13 and 11.  The 13 year old acts so ridiculous and I sit back and think to myself "where the hell are your parenting skills????"  Her daughter is sexually active, on birth control, has had several boyfriends and has been in a depression over losing them,  AT 13!!!!!!!!!  She posts provovcative pics on facebook, and her tongue is sticking out in 99% of them which is apparently a cool thing.  She also posts her phone number on facebook, and I'm thinking, can we say sexual predator???  She has recently decided to give up on boys and is now in a relationship with another girl.  I have nothing against same sex couples, but I just think 13 is pretty young for ANY of this!!!!!  And yes, her mom is friends with her on facebook and knows and sees eveything she does.  I recently had a conversation with my friend, and the topic of her daughter being on birth control came up.  I asked her what she was thinking letting her daughter be sexually active that early.  I asked why she let her be home alone with her boyfriend?  Have sleepovers with him?  Her response: "You just don't understand yet.  Wait until your daughter is 13 you'll see what I mean"  I may be new at this whole mommy thing but I can damn sure tell you my daughter WILL NOT be on birth control at 13.  And at 13, she will not have an unsupervised facebook account to post pics and phone numbers.  Actually, at 13 she won't have her own cell phone either!!!!! And she will not be allowed to be in unsupervised situations with the opposite sex!  She's 13.  Is it just me, or should my friend not still be exercising some control instead of treating her daughter like an adult now?  Am I just way out of touch here???

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owensmom34
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

No, you are not out of touch at all.  That is scary and hopefully that girl does not get pregnant too soon.   

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM

that is horrifying!   i'm pretty open minded about my kids, but that is WAY too loose w/ the freedom.  no way in hell....  

mgarze
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Well you can only build a foundation for your children and guide them the right way but lets say you r daughter comes home from school at 13 and tells you she has been having sex and then what..Do you put her on birth control or do you lock her up and she sneeks around and gets pregnant..I hope that lil girl knows that pills dont stop you from getting diseases..my daughter is 15 still a virgin..i monitor her facebook..I was a virgin til 16 then told my mother i had a boyfriend for 6 months and i thought i was going to have sex..She put me on the pill..I think that girl is missing something in her life that she iss trying to replace with boys or girls  or the attention she gets from ppl wanting her..Its sad that she does not know thats all they want

singlemomof2nok
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Your friend is not doing her daughter any favors, she needs to step up and be a parent.  13 is way too young to be that sexually active

busymominmo
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Way too young!!!! She needs to be akid while she has the chance!!! Her mom is making a huge mistake!

collegegrad2013
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! Omg...sleep overs with a boyfriend???
Some people really need to have their heads examined!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Sure, her parenting may not be hands on or in control as it should be, but that is for her to deal with. Maybe offer support, advice (when asked for) & positive encouragement. Be a friend. A real friend.

I also do not think adults should be "friends" with children. At all. The only exception is if the child is your own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlo1313
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I wanna smack this woman!  My DD is 10 and I can't imagine in 3 years she is going to suddenly experience this thing where her head spins around and she comes home from school and thinks she is entitled to any of this behavior.  It sounds to me like her mother wants to be her friend and not her MOTHER! 

cuteboo
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM

My girls are 13 and 16.. Heres the thing if they are gonna have sex they will.. Where there is a will there is a way.. I was mortified when my oldest said she thought she was pregnant.. She didn't go anywhere but to school.. was never home alone.. Her friends would hang out at my house.. So how in the world could that happen.. Kids don't tell their parents anything.. Its not like it was when I was younger.. Its good to have that friendship with your kids.. But you also know when its time to be a parent.. SO i may not have much room to talk with this situation but speaking from experiance they will find a way

sdgd21
by Diana on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM

agreed!

Quoting collegegrad2013:

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! Omg...sleep overs with a boyfriend???
Some people really need to have their heads examined!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)