Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Salary Negotiation (sp?) What is reasonable?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

I just interviewed for a job that I am really excited about. All I can think about is the "pros" & how to work around the "cons". I wasn't even offered the job, but I'm trying to figure out how to get around them anyway lol!

During the interview I was told what the starting rate would be. I did the numbers & it is $3100 more a year than what I make now. BUT, since I work for a daycare center & as an employee my childcare is free I have to take into consideration childcare costs. So I did the math & figured out I would need to pay $3480 a year in child care (this is based on my current government assisted monthly co-pay which may change if I make more money). This is $380 more than the increase in pay I would be getting.

So, my question is... is it unreasonable for me, as a prosepctive employee, to negotiate child care costs into my pay? I could say ask for the starting rate that they told me they give plus my monthly child care co-pay. Or should I say "in order to be able to afford child care I need to make xx amount of money" (which in all honesty is only 25 cents more per hour than what starting rate is) & that would actually give me an extra $200 per year. Of course this is all figured without taxes taken out plus there will probably be an increase in what I have to pay per month if my salary goes up.

As I was considering the pros vs cons one HUGE con came to mind... my daughters are 10 & 12 & in middle school. The daycare I work for will provide after school care only for their school...either at another school or at the center I work at. My toddler is also at the center I work at. My 8yo DS will be at another location before & after school. This prospective job is 15 mins from my house & on the eastside of my hometown. The daycare I work at is on the westside, about 20 mins give or take (taking into consideration I have to go through town to get to the daycare... lots of stop lights & in middle of "rush hour"). If I get this job I would have to drive PAST my house to get the girls & toddler then drive back towards to get my 8yo before going home. There is a daycare literally 3 mins from my house that transports to the 8yo's school & on the website it says they take up to 12 yrs old. IDK if they transport to the middle school where my daughters will be. IF everything checks out/works out I COULD send them to the other center & all 4 kids be at 1 location!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Honestly? No. Employers couldn't care less about your personal financial issues, & bringing up childcare in salary negotiations could result in a withdrawal of the offer - and certainly won't help.

They offer a salary based on what they feel the POSITION is worth. If you negotiate you have to demonstrate why you deserve more - better education? More experience? What do you bring to the position that is worth more money?? THAT is what you use in negotiation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
troll.mom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM

as a former CFO of a business, if a cadidate said, i would need ex amount in order to take this job, knowing what the salaray we had to offer was, we would move on to the next candidate.

you also have too realize, the job market is very competative, and there is someone who is just as qualified if not more qualified to take the position for less.

good luck, but even if they offer you the job and you tell them you need ex amount to accept the offer, it is 100% legal for them to say, thank you very much for your time and recind the offer.

Dannille33
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Totally agree..

Quoting the3Rs:

Honestly? No. Employers couldn't care less about your personal financial issues, & bringing up childcare in salary negotiations could result in a withdrawal of the offer - and certainly won't help.

They offer a salary based on what they feel the POSITION is worth. If you negotiate you have to demonstrate why you deserve more - better education? More experience? What do you bring to the position that is worth more money?? THAT is what you use in negotiation.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM
I agree as well.

Quoting the3Rs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyMammaOf4
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Okay Thanks for the info! I was just wondering! I haven't had to go through this before so that is why I asked. Now I know if & when they call for a 2nd interview to not bring it up!

suziq1982
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM

You need to first decide if this is a job you really want and if you are willing to take less money to get it. If you aren't willing to take it if they don't offer more money then I would tell them i currently get daycare for free so in order for me to take this job I need to make xxx to cover this. It won't hurt to ask if it is a deciding factor for you. If however you are going to take the job regardless of pay then I wouldn't mention for the reasons the other ladies have said.

Gryeyedgrl
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM
With this job market I wouldnt try asking for more money. Maybe ask when and how pay raises occur though.

Quoting troll.mom:

as a former CFO of a business, if a cadidate said, i would need ex amount in order to take this job, knowing what the salaray we had to offer was, we would move on to the next candidate.

you also have too realize, the job market is very competative, and there is someone who is just as qualified if not more qualified to take the position for less.

good luck, but even if they offer you the job and you tell them you need ex amount to accept the offer, it is 100% legal for them to say, thank you very much for your time and recind the offer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM
I wouldn't unless not getting that amount would be a deal breaker
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniebel22
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM
I've asked for more money before because the average salary for a position like this was higher than their original offer. They gave me a more desirable offer and I accepted. I think you need to research to see if the offer was competitive and decide if the job is something you really want (ex: is it an entry level for the career of your dreams?). Then add that information to your pros and cons list before you decide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM
The way I see it, you have nothing to lose by asking. If they don't hire you then you stay at your current job and save on the daycare costs. Doesn't sound like a great move financially if they don't offer you more money. I have a friend that left the company I work for and went to a new one and she negotiated a rate. She took into consideration the week of vacation she would be losing as well as the profit sharing checks we get and added that loss into what she would need and they accepted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)