Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deadly Honeymoon..:(

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

Groom Killed by Shark on Honeymoon

Brit killed on Seychelles honeymoon

as reported by the Sun :  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3756527/Bride-sees-shark-eat-groom-in-Seychelles.html

A BRITISH bridegroom was killed by a shark off an idyllic honeymoon island  yesterday - as the horrified bride he wed 11 days ago looked on.

Ian Redmond, 30, was attacked in shallow water 100ft off a Seychelles beach

Bride Gemma Houghton, 27, from Wigan, was sunbathing and heard him shout  "Help, help" as the Bull shark savaged him.

Ian suffered horrific injuries as the monster tore huge chunks of flesh from  his body.

Fishermen carried him to the beach in a dinghy but he died before paramedics  could arrive as his wife wept beside him and screamed "that's my husband

It was the second attack by a Bull shark in two weeks on Praslin Island in the  Seychelles - 20 miles from where Prince William and wife Kate honeymooned.

A witness, also called Ian, said: "The swimmer was missing a huge chunk of  flesh from his left leg, so much so that I could see the bone of his thigh.  He was sickeningly pale, but still had his flippers on both feet.

"A woman ran over and started screaming. She said, ‘That's my husband! We were  just married'."

An islander said: "The man was swimming close to the beach. He began splashing  and shouting. His arm was ripped off and parts of his torso were missing.  There was a horrific amount of blood in the water. It was like Jaws."

Another witness said someone grabbed Gemma and kept her away from her  mutilated husband.

He added: "The damage was too great. It was too horrific for her to see."

Groom Eaten by Similar Bull Shark Seen Here

Beach restaurant boss Jeanne Vargiolu, 56, said Ian had lost one arm and had  the flesh stripped off one leg.

He also had holes in his chest and stomach.

She added: "All the meat on one leg was gone."

map

Bill Houghton, the bride's uncle, said: "Gemma is just devastated. They had a  perfect wedding. Ian was a fantastic bloke."

The couple, who married on August 6, were at stunning Anse Lazio beach in the  early evening - about 3pm UK time - when the shark attacked in shallow  waters, 100ft from the shore.

The previous shark attack victim was a French diver.

A Seychelles tourism source said: "The latest bite marks are consistent with  that of a Bull shark. It is probably the same rogue maneater."

The couple's families, David and Coleta Houghton and Stephen and Corinne  Redmond, were flying to the resort last night.

My Deepest Condoleances to the Bride

Capt.Paul Peluso www.MamaMiaFishing.Net

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM
Oh no. That's terrible. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveBug1220
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM

OMG that is horrible!

tramcd
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM
How horrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DalesLgndLvsOn3
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

How horrific, I feel terrible for that bride.  I just wonder when people will learn to stay out of the habitats of predatory animals.   Sooo many shark attacks in the past few years, bear attacks, mountain lion attacks, etc.  How many more people will die before it gets thru that these animals are just doing what they do, and humans are invading their territory.  Again, I feel so terribly sorry for the bride, to have to go thru this.

collegegrad2013
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM
My First thought was why was he swimming in shark waters? Sad, but I tend to have little sympathy for people that beat a bees nest and
then gets stung.

Quoting DalesLgndLvsOn3:

How horrific, I feel terrible for that bride.  I just wonder when people will learn to stay out of the habitats of predatory animals.   Sooo many shark attacks in the past few years, bear attacks, mountain lion attacks, etc.  How many more people will die before it gets thru that these animals are just doing what they do, and humans are invading their territory.  Again, I feel so terribly sorry for the bride, to have to go thru this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Wow,man.... thats sad.

Dannille33
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I heard this on the news.. and posted this. I still can't believe it..

pigtail
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I heard about this today. Such a sad story.

BellaH10
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Wow that is sad...

suziq1982
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM

How horrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)