Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dogs....

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM
  • 86 Replies

What breed of dog do you own?   Does anyone have English Mastiff or Great Dane?

We have a German Shepard and Lab both are around 9years old. They are both wonderful dogs. We always said we wanted to have one of those other two breeds but now that our dogs are getting older I want a puppy to be around them before its to late.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Salgadomom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I have a Shorkie ( shitzu/yorkie) and a dachshund, I would love a dane, but heard they can have health issues.

SharPei2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

We have a Chinese Shar Pei. 

nellebutter
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM
We had two american bull/ pit bull mix. Our oldest dog just passed Monday he was 10. My hubby is so broken up about it that he said he doesn't even want to get another dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

We have a very old Golden Retriever -- she will be 14 in December.  She's been an awesome doggy - especially when the kids were little and she'd just lay there and let them climb all over her and cuddle-up with her.  She's still great with the kids though we all need to be a bit more careful around her since she is getting frail.

We had a Papillon also -- we got her because that is supposed to be an 'intelligent breed' - she was far from a smart doggy.  She caused nothing but trouble and after over 2 years we had to give her away -- we gave her to ILs so the kids could still see her.

I had looked into getting a Great Dane as well.  The one thing I found was that you must train them 'not to lean on things or people' while they are still puppies because when they are full-sized their leaning can cause problems (knocking people and things over). 
We had also thought about getting a puppy while we still have our current dog - but have decided against getting a puppy at all for now.  We plan to move over-seas in the next few years and we'll have enough problems moving our three cats...we've told the kids we'll wait to get a puppy until we are settled in to our new home.

SharPei2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I feel your pain.  We just lost our oldest Shar Pei last Friday.  It was a very hard day for us all.

Quoting nellebutter:

We had two american bull/ pit bull mix. Our oldest dog just passed Monday he was 10. My hubby is so broken up about it that he said he doesn't even want to get another dog.

suziq1982
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Most of the larger dogs run the risk of some size related issues. I did read about the Great Dane's stomach getting messed up. Some peope raise the dog dishes so they don't take in so much air. I had a friend who had two great danes they were so great with all of us kids. I really haven't know anyone that has had one and have the health conditions I have read about. I also have read a positve way to help prevent that stomach thing.

Quoting Salgadomom:

I have a Shorkie ( shitzu/yorkie) and a dachshund, I would love a dane, but heard they can have health issues.

suziq1982
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Quoting nellebutter:

We will be very broken when we lose our two dogs as well. I want to add a dog to the family not to replace them but so the dog can learn behaviors and the family with our two. Our lab should live longer then our shepard but she has heart issues. I worry about them all the time and my hubby when we lose them. They were his dogs before the kids and I.  I am sorry for the loss of your dog.

Chymerra
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM
We have a Jack Russel Terrier. Very smart, awesome with the kids but very hyper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutumnDreamer
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

We have a yellow Lab, a Min Pin, and a lab/pit mix.

My son's best friend has a great dane, and I have always wanted one until I was around one.  They slobber EVERYWHERE!  Whenever Queenie shakes her head she gets slobber on anythign within 3 feet of her.

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM

We have 2 pit bulls almost a year old. They are really great and sweet.  Only problem is one of them keeps jumping out of the fence Grrrrrr!!!

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)