Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being laid off- vent!!.... Update

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

So last month I got pulled into supervisor's office- She and the Director ( I work at a non profit)- tell me my position is being restructured- new software was coming into play etc.etc.

They were giving me a heads up that it was going to be posted- I was told that I was welcome to apply for it-  in the event that i am not hired, my departing is considered a lay off- so at least i can get unemployment benefits if I am unable to find work anywhere.

I have since asked about learning the software- it still has not been selected- and I have put in my application- I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins and am hoping I can stay on.

It is really awkward for me when I am working in the back office and I see these people coming in to interview for "my" job.

To have to sit and hear as my supervisor and the other interviewer sit and chat with the interviewee and laugh and such...

I have come to realize since they have not bothered to schedule an interview with me they have no intention of rehiring me- yet I am sticking it out for the benefits that will come. 

I find myself lacking motivation to be here each day, pounding away at the keyboard, taking reservations from schools, for birthdays etc..

Tempted to use sick days that I have left ( close to 52 hours( or 1 week 4 full days and 1 half day) of sick leave to be exact) and just enjoy a some paid time off at home with my 3 year old.  Rather than sit here working endelessly like I always have, only now fully aware that my ax falling day could come at any time.

Ugh...this sucks!!!!!

Yes they know I am pregnant- my supervisor is also pregnant- she is due at the end of January- I am due in March- but with it being twins chances of bed rest and time off earlier are higher- 

I am taking this as a sign that I am to take some time and enjoy being at home with my son and when the twins arrive time with them as well- I do plan to look into work from home positions after the twins are born and we are all settled simply because I cannot fathom not having my own income coming in- 

Fortunantly for the time being my husband has started a job with a company that handles bulding equipment on government contracts- so he will be making good money and we will have good benefits- 

I just am frustrated at being stuck seeing these potential replacements paraded in front of me through the office each day- knowing one of them will end up taking my job- which may or may not change and have new software.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies- I am doing my best to view the positives that can come of this and take the rest in stride- but somedays when hormones are high it is just a bit much!

UPDATE:

Got called in today and told they found someone they liked for the job so my last day is this Friday.....

Funny how two months turned into one, but that is life ..on the upside I have an interview next Monday so we will see where it goes.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame4c
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You need to talk to a lawyer.  It is illegal to lay you off and then hire someone for your position.  They have to give you a call back before they can hire outside.  That's a federal law.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Sorry you are going through this!  Try to stick out until they make a formal decision one way or another.  The long term benefits would be better.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM
I agree. See if there's anything you can do.

Quoting ame4c:

You need to talk to a lawyer.  It is illegal to lay you off and then hire someone for your position.  They have to give you a call back before they can hire outside.  That's a federal law.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemomof2nok
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Oh wow.  I would probably confront them and ask them when they are going to set you up with an interview

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Check it out. Good luck!

Quoting KylesMom409:

Quoting ame4c:

Brehi
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Is there a reason that you put on your application that you are pregnant?

I would ask if your application has been reviewed.Maybe they're saving your interview for last.

jesmoore27028
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM

It might be federal law but it isn't enforced. I was written out of work at 32 weeks pregnant due to slow weight gain and no movement from my baby and stress from my then 2 yr old having blood work done 3 times a week for 8 weeks. A week before I delivered my baby I received a phone call at home from my boss, I worked for a major law firm in our area, letting me know that effective when I went back to work I was being laid off. So time for all that to happen I come to find out they are hiring temp workers to come in and do the job that myself and 30 other people were doing before we were laid off. I have since found out that the temp work is now being contracted out of the country. So just b/c it is law doesn't mean it is enforced and some law firms don't even care.

OP - I would go ahead and put in my application for the job and see what happens, if you haven't already. If you find out they're aren't going to hire you then I would ask when the lay off might be taking place and then I would decide about taking the time off. Congrats on the twins and I hope your pregnancy goes smooth.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Check it out. Good luck!

Quoting KylesMom409:

Quoting ame4c:

deedee3849
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM
I'm sorry, that does sound so difficult and very unfair! I was laid off this summer and called back in the beginning of September. I will say that it was a very difficult thing to go through the emotions of losing my job but I had the best time all summer with my 2 boys! We did so many (FREE)things together and really just enjoyed each other. So, I wish the best for you! I think you should interview for the job too! And if you don't get it, make it a special time of bonding at home with your son before the babies come.
suziq1982
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I am sorry that you are going through that. Good Luck.

collectivecow
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM

That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)