Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So... Do I just not take my children out after dark anymore?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'll try to make this short, tween had to go the library and didn't tell me till nearly five. LO's dinner time is six. So, after the library , it WAS six and we were a half an hour from home, well that's not gonna sit well with LO is it? We went to a strip mall to a local restaurant to eat. When we got our food I happen to noticed that the table next to us (two men) seemed um either annoyed by our presence or too much attention. I tried to brush it of as just odd.

We, we left, got to the car and LO and behold, we happen to be parked next to these men. I'm strapping baby in and one of then SNEERED " get that baby strapped in, you're making me wait!"
Wow! I'm in a parking lot... Lights about thirty feet apart. I was half infuriated and half scared to death at how vulnerable I was. I kinda want to just keep my ass sticking out the door and half wanted to call 911 for what exactly I don't know... Harassment? But then what stand there in a not so greatly lit area and wait when I already felt threatened? It's just me and the children!
So I continue at a normal pace although my hands are beginning to shake, ( he's still watching me you know when you are being watched)
I get in the car LOCK the doors and calmly but freaked out at the same time and drove home.

This was not just rudeness, ladies, there was a threat in his tone. How would you handle this? DH of course gets manly and says I'd have beat the shit out of him if I was there... But he wasn't there. And all of us know this would have never taken place if DH HAD been there.

I've been racking my brain about how I should have handled it and how angry I was ! I think I did the only safe thing I could do, but maybe pepper spray should be obtained. (sorry, not short afterall)

The ones that you love the most go away to soon, the others just never go away...

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM
5 moms liked this

I would have gotten in the car and locked the doors with the baby not strapped in.  After they pulled out, then I would have gotten back out and strapped the baby in.  They sounded like trouble, so I would have just let them go and be on their way.  Sorry this happened to you.  I've never experienced anything like that.

Nikaniko
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have probably gotten flustered and just closed the door and got in...locked the doors and climbed over the seat to finish buckling the baby in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM
I agree. I would have buckled the baby after they left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM

I carry pepper spray. sorry you had this experience.

LuvHugs429
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:13 AM

I have done this on numerous occasions. I hate making people wait anyways.

Quoting Nikaniko:

I would have probably gotten flustered and just closed the door and got in...locked the doors and climbed over the seat to finish buckling the baby in.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

dustinsmom1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM

I would have put the baby in the car, gotten in myself and immediately called 911, people like this will always bully unless someone pushes back. Most parking lots have cameras in them as well.

singlemomof2nok
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I would have buckled the baby in after they left.   

hache2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I carry pepper spray with me constantly. I also have a stun gun. I've been harrassed several times. I was walking around 5pm on a summer evening (it's daylight until after 9pm here in the summer) and I was about 7 months pregnant. Some guy got out of his car and seriously propositioned me.

sweetsurprise13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I would have got in the car and locked the doors and called 911 if they did not leave me alone. Otherwise I would have waited till they left and buckled baby in and then went home. I have def decided to carry a stun gun and pepper spray because of this crap. I don't know what is wrong with people.  I am sorry you had such a bad experience but don't let them win and keep you inside.

our3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Sounds like a one time thing. The guy was pissy. I wouldnt freak over it and not go outside after dark, seems a bit drastic. If your terrified then get some pepper spray like you said. But since they guy only made a comment in a rude tone still wouldnt have given you the right to pepper spray him.

How old is your LO? Could you maybe bring a snack next time if its such an emergency that the LO needs to eat at 7 on the dot. Then you wouldnt have to stop off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)