• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child was involved in a school bus accident...EDIT another question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

would you expect to be notified right away? Let me get some answers first, then I'll finish my reasoning for asking this question.

What would you consider a minor accident. Would a bus that ran off the road into a ditch then rode in ditch along side a hillside with the bus scrapping along the hill a minor accident?

Ok, sorry I've been busy. Anyhow, the reason I asked this question is because my 10 yr old son was on the school bus when it wrecked last week. They were coming back from a science program that our 5th graders do at the National Guard Armory. According to our BOE it was just a minor accident even though they rode along side of the hill, being tossed and jostled for 150 ft. 

According to the head our county Transportation Department, parents were contacted on the scene and only a few were left in the dark (this is according to the news article I will post). When in reality the MAJORITY of the parents were NOT. Apparently only the few kids that complained of being hurt their parents were called to the site by the paramedics and were picked up by their parents and taken to the hospital. Myself and several other parents were not notified. It took me almost 2 hours after the wreck happened to find my son. 

Here are the 2 newspaper articles about it:

http://wvgazette.com/News/201111010185 this is from last weeks article

http://wvgazette.com/News/201111070158 and this is from like 2 days ago

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/111101_7219.shtml and this is from the tv station and a picture of the front end of the bus. 

Apparently because of the way this was handled they want to change how things are handled for FUTURE field trips. 

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all,
you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the
inside." DJADS

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lcm3181
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sure they would need to secure the scene and make sure people were okay and treated accordingly if there were injuries...but I would expect a call in a decent amount of time.

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

It would depend on the accident.  If there were injuries to the students, then absolutely, I would expect to be notified immediately.  If it was just a fender bender, then I wouldn't expect a call.

MissAmber
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Yes! I don't have to worry about school busses till next year, my dd is really looking forward to riding the bus next year, but I am so scared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ClassyMom619
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I would expect a call right away. It's happened to us before. The bus got hit right before it got to our stop. The principal was there within minutes calling the school with the names of the remaining students on board to call the parents to come get the kids. We have an awesome school & principal though. Not everyone is so lucky.

lynettemommie4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I would expect a call whenever teh scene was checked and made sure life threatening injuries were taken care of. we would be waiting on my kids so after awhile i would be worring. weve been stuck waiting once for my kids but there bus had broke down and they had to wait for another bus to come get them.

offrdngal
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Would a bus that ran off the road into a ditch then rode in ditch along side a hillside with the bus scrapping along the hill a minor accident?

No, this is not minor.  This kind of accident could cause injuries.  I should have been more specific with my original answer...if an ambulance is called, I better receive a phone call.  If they didn't call an ambulance to check everyone out, for the stated accident...there would be hell to pay.

AutumnDreamer
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Regardless of the size of the accident you should receive a call.

kylandof4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I would want a phone call as soon as possible 

yourpassion
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

i would not consider that a minor accident.

PurplePieguy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)