Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your input/feelings on a daycare issue

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM
  • 97 Replies

Okay,

I have a 4 year old son and I am a working single Mom.  I am extremely picky about childcare providers and will move my son in a heart beat if I am not happy or he is not happy.  I had my son in a daycare from April 2011 until August 2011.  He loves it there, the daycare provider is awesome, she teaches phoics, they have a preschool segment every day and every day she spends one on one time with each of the children.  The issue is, in August I discovered that there is a house across the street from her that is a group home for sex offenders.  There are 4 sex offenders that live there, 3 for child molesation and one for assault to commit rape.  Her daycare center has been there for 25 years and this group home just opened up last year.  The day I found out about this I pulled my son from her daycare. 

I have been having a friend's mother watch him, but now she needs to find a full time job and I can't afford to pay her more than $400 a month which won't cut it.  The daycare provider he was going to  offered to cut her rates by $20 a week if I would bring him back.  She is a leader for his church group so we see her every week and he really misses going there.  He always talks about her and the kids and he was happiest there than at any daycare he has been to.

I hesisitate to allow him to go back because of the group home.  I tried every legal avenue I knew of to get that group home moved, but unfortunately they are all off of parole so there is nothing that can be done and Jessica's law doesn't apply to them because they are unsupervised.  She is aware of the situation with them and all, but I am not sure about letting him go back. 

So, what would you do?  Would you allow your child(ren) to be there knowing about those guys? 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM
4 moms liked this
I would take him back. The group home isn't going to be coming to the day care and as long as the teachers are watching the kids like they should no harm will come to them. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopemommy2
by Paula on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Sorry...I would not...
You never know..I would never take that chance..
Try to find a family member..
I know its hard but safety first....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM
12 moms liked this
Sex offenders are everywhere. I would bring him to the daycare. It's not like they are inviting the neighbors in for cookies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
For all the ones we know of there are more we don't even know about. I would go back to the origional daycare. You have every right to be cautious.... but sex offenders are everywhere.

Quoting Mena929:

Sex offenders are everywhere. I would bring him to the daycare. It's not like they are inviting the neighbors in for cookies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziq1982
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

There are sex predators everywhere. You should be cautious even when you don't know about sex offenders in an area. Some just haven't been caught. I would take him back as long as she cautious.

Quoting conniejo75:

For all the ones we know of there are more we don't even know about. I would go back to the original daycare. You have every right to be cautious.... but sex offenders are everywhere.

Quoting Mena929:

Misery_Stitches
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Agree with these ladies

Quoting conniejo75:

For all the ones we know of there are more we don't even know about. I would go back to the origional daycare. You have every right to be cautious.... but sex offenders are everywhere.

Quoting Mena929:

I am a... baby wearing, part time cloth diapering and part time elimination communication, breastfeeding and pumping while working because breast is best, non-circumsizing, immunizing against all but the flu and chicken pox, part time co-sleeping, recycling, nature loving, artsy crafty Mum born and raised in Aotearoa (New Zealand) that loves her children  and her awesome man to pieces...

sweetsurprise13
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I basically agree with these ladies but i also say go with your instinct and trust in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Ziggy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM
7 moms liked this

I would want to know what she has done to ensure the security and protection of the kids since the group home moved in.  I would consider taking him back if the outside yard area is completely protected by high, solid fencing that would ensure those people are unable to see the kids while they are playing at all.  Not one little peak!  I would also want assurances that all entrances and exits are incredibly secure.

hargonagain
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this

She does have a high fence for the back yard. My main concern is that when the kids are waiting for the bus in the morning (mine doesn't go yet but others do) they are left out there waiting by themselves.  Other than that she is very cautious, I just happen to work at prison so I am hyper sensitve to pervs/sex offenders.  I realize that there are many that haven't been caught yet. I have talked to her about my concerns and I have talked to my son and he really wants to go back there.  I am going to think about it some more and make a decision in a few days.  Thanks for your input everyone!

Summerdiane1977
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. Can you find work at a school/ daycare? Then you get a break on tuition plus you get to keep an eye on him. Personally, I would move in with my parents/relatives who could help support me and child. Even if that ment moving to another state. I hope it works out for you and your child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)