Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM
  • 13 Replies
buy gift cards for people for Christmas? Do you think it's impersonal to do so or would you rather give them the opportunity to buy what they want?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I usually buy gift cards for my nieces and nephews, unless they ask for something specific.  I don't think it is impersonal, it gives the person the opportunity to buy something they like, with the thought that someone else is paying for it (so to speak).  I wish gift cards were as popular and easy to get, when I was growing up.

Stormy6669
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM
I usually don't only because I worry about my kids pretty much. But I think they are a great idea.
VioletPlacebo
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I buy gift cards for teenagers and people I don't know well or people who ask for them. I would love a giftcard as long as it was for a store I actually like lol

Chaotic-Good
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Rarely. I don't know if impersonal is the right word, but I'd rather hedge my bets and pick something for them so they know that at least I tried and was thinking of them personally.

I'm uncomfortable with gift cards in the same way that I'm uncomfortable with registries. It's just not how I was raised. Gifts are gifts, not a gimme gimme gimme.

BeautifulMomof1
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I try to find a gift I know they will like . . I think it means more when you give a gift you took the time to find for someone . . to me, gift cards are personal and I hate to get gifts when you can tell the person didn't put much thought into it . .

tel4him
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 6:54 AM

I give gift cards, but I make sure it's to a place I know the person likes.  For example, my BFF LOVES Dunkin' Donuts, so I've given her a DD card in the past with a fun note saying, "Today the coffee's on me!" 

I've gotten gift cards in the past to stores and restaurants I never go to and I know the person just put zero thought into it.  That's really depressing to me.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM
I try to personalize as much as possible, when nephew just grunts " I din't know" ... Gift card
blackeyeliner
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM
I never have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hache2
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:46 AM
I don't. My ILs were only buying gifts(gift cards) to compete with each other to see who gave the largest monetary amount, so I stopped. If I want to spend $5 on a gift and $60 on another, it's my business.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I give gift cards to my older neices and nephews. They never give me ideas about what they would like for Christmas so I just give them a gift card and they can buy something they would like.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)