• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM
  • 42 Replies
do you think women should stop having babies? Do you think there is a "cut off" age or do you think as long as a woman's body is capable of carrying a baby they should have a baby if they want to, no matter what their age? Interested in your opinions on this and of course when I say no matter what their age I mean before a woman starts to go through menopause.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I had my children young and i know some women have had kids into their 40's but to be honest i think over 45 there are way too high of risks.... for health of baby and mom. Honestly, i would not have had a child past 35 personally. (I was 20 and 21)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M0Mme
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

i was wondering the same thing bc im going to be 33 soon and i have one. but i always wanted two. i guess for me id say 35 but people are having em into their 40s now.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM
I donno, I'm 31 and was recently told I'm "on the older side" to have young children (my youngest is 11 months). I was kinda surprised by this since I was too young when I had my first (18) and waited til I felt I was ready & old enough to have more. I feel I'm done having babies, but if you can naturally conceive a child I don't think you are too old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM
I always said 35 but as I approach that and still want another my opinion changes, lol.. I don't think I would want to be older than 37 or 38 though.... Personal preference I guess...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diva19_74
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM
I was 17 when i had my daughter, had to leave her father when i was 21. I use to say if i did not have another child by the time I was 32 i would be too old. I got married 3yrs ago. He has no kids and we would like one or two. However Im 37 and have been trying for 3 yrs. Im hoping this year it will happen. We really want a child but Im afraid Im getting too old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I think there is no right answer by any means... For me personally, I wanted to have my babies before I was 34. I had ds1at 28 and ds2 at 31.

HelloGeek
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I believe at 35 it's automatically considered a high risk pregnancy, because of the higher risk of complications, but I figure that also depends on the woman. In the past it would have been hard socially on the parents and kids, because having a kid in your 40s puts you around the same age as a lot of the other kids' grandparents.  But it's much more common now, so I don't think that's as much of an issue.  I guess if you can handle a teenager in your 50s, go for it.

shajdinyak
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I said 35. However I know my dh would love to try again for a boy. We have two girls and I'm 35. Our youngest is seven months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twinglemomi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I was on the young side when I had my kids, my oldest at two weeks before my 19th birthday and then my twins at 22...I think, yeah I was 22, LOL...It was so long ago I have to really think about it.

I think that it's one of those really personal decisions, although I wouldn't want to be one of those moms who everyone thinks is your grandmother at your high school graduation. I did work at one preschool where we had a large number of moms having babies well into their forties. A lot of them were having empty nest babies or second marriage babies. I can't even imagine now at 35 having a newborn...I enjoy getting a solid night of sleep, not having to carry a diaper bag everywhere. I love babies, but I would definitely have to give it some hard thought before I had another one at this point in my life.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this
The woman in her sixties that gave birth to two girls basically "because she could and wanted to" left her children at ages two and three due to a heart attack. So yes, just because you "can" have babies in late late forties/fifties ( I believe this woman was implanted)
I don't claim to "know " the cut off age, but I'd say that if you twelve yr old daughter's friends ask her if you are her mom or grandma, you waited too long.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)