Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is America still about freedom?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 10 Replies
I was talking with a few people the other day. One brought up the question about how truly free we are in this country...

Like freedom of speech..

Free to do what we care to with in reason..

What do those soldiers fight for? Freedom?

If so freedom from other countries attacking us? Right?

Maybe we need to focus on how people in this country attack one another.. Picking on them for this and that.

The laws stated one thing decades ago.. The questions. Now are to smoke or not to smoke?

Buy healthy or junk? ( what's cheaper)

And thats just a couple.

This is the reason I feel and others feel America isn't about freedom as much as it use to be.. Not even close.

What are your feelings about American and freedoms ( of course within reason)??

Have you ever really thought about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Freedom is a dangerous question, because are you talking about your freedom or my freedom?  Whos freedom matters more when it comes to smoking for example.  Is it your freedom to smoke or my freedom to breathe smoke free air?  How about drinking?  Is it someones freedom to determine if they drank to much to drive, or is that not a freedom?  Talking about junk food and food stamps.  I don't have a choice but to pay into taxes to purchase food for others on food stamps. I don't have freedom there (and I'm ok with that). Those who need food stamps have the freedom not to accept the help, or to accept the help with limitations placed on those who offer it.  In regards to abortion.  Those who are pro-life will claim you are stepping on the freedom of the unborn, while those who are pro-choice will state you are stepping on the freedoms of the woman.

I think your biggest challenge in answering that question is who's freedom are you talking about.

skhech
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

"My rights end where your nose begins."

storkradio193
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I think we still have much more freedom than many in the world.  The issues arise when one person's freedom infringes on another person's freedom.  For example, if one person smokes than that infringes on another person's right to health (and the other way around - right of one's health infringes on another's smoking).  Balancing these issues is difficult.

Minorities today have more freedoms than in the past although it is still a complex picture. 

CDMelty
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

We all have freedom of speech. We can spout off whatever we want to. Other people have the freedom to respond, or boycott, or sue. Freedom means the government can't stop us, not that there can't be any consequences at all.

About ten percent of the country isn't free to marry. That's the biggest legal, organized, blatant lack of freedom I can think of. No freedom to grow up and go form a family like everyone else.

chinosruca
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting skhech:

"My rights end where your nose begins."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaria
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Honestly, we can't even go on an airplane without worrying whether TSA agents are going to grope our children "for our own safety." Doesn't seem so free to me.

Military Spouses - attend school for free with MyCAA! Earn your paralegal, medical coding, office assistant, or medical transcription certificate in as little as 3 months.

TwilekMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I don't think this country is about freedom anymore.  It's all about money.  Everything comes down to money.  How much you have, how much you're getting, how much you can spend, how much things cost.

That's it.

KristysAngels
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Sure it is still freedom.  Unfortunately since so many people in the world lack common sense it makes for the rest of the people to suffer and limitations need to be set by the upper power to keep things from getting out of hand.  It's not a choice of wether you can or can't smoke....it's those who smoke in public posing health issues for the surrounding people who the smoker has no regards to.  Who wants to walk through a puff of smoke outside a store just to get in because people smoke in front of the doors?  Who wants to go play in a park with their kids and have the person come up next to them with a ciggarette in hand?  It's common sense and unfortunately many lack that.  Same with the limitations on food stamps.  They are not a "right" to have.  They are a handout by taxpayers money.  If someone is asking for help then beggers can't be choosers and be upset if something they are being given comes with limitations.  Soldiers make the choice to willingly go into the military knowing everything that it entails. Unfortunately if there are not limitations put on things...this will turn into what other countries are and we will have nothing left.

olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Not sure what we are about, i guess power and money like always. We may think we have it bad, but trade your life for one in alot of other countries, and youd love to come back.

Dannille33
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I respect everyone's replies.. I also believe and agree with all you've stated.. Thank you for your answers/ replies.

It was just a question I decided to ask because it was a discussion with friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)