Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a question for everyone ....

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

I want to know everyones' feeling about the genetic testing (AFP) during first trimester. AFP tests for spinal abnormalities, concerning spina bifida, down syndrome, etc ...

I had this blood test done and my results came back positive, so it was requested that I have my blood drawn again, along with an additional ultrasound to see if my growing baby's spine and growth looked ok. I was repeatedly told by my Ob that this test often gives "false positives" and not to worry.  Well, I had the ultrasound, all LOOKED perfect ... bloodwork results returned ... POSITIVE. So NOW I am being sent for a more in depth ultrasound that gives a more definite answer to IF I should even be concerned.

My issue here is WHY ARE PREGNANT WOMEN BEING PUT THROUGH THIS NIGHTMARE of "UNNECESSARY" WORRY?!?!?!?!  If this test more times than not gives false positives, I would assume it gives false negatives as well ... How is this even considered protocol for us already over worked and over stressed mommys-to-be!!!!

To me this is like giving a patient an AIDS test, it coming back positive and being told not to worry this test is usually wrong, we are going to retest you (using the SAME unreliable test) and have you take a couple of extra measures that are more  reliable, that can give you a definite answer. WHAT!?!?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Please, someone tell me why this is even offered to us??? It is CRUEL! Why not just start with the other more reliable means of testing for possible defects and issues?!?!?!?!

Let me know what you think .... how you feel about this .... and your experience?

I go tomorrow for the ultrasound that should either put my mind at ease or confirm my fears... wish me luck and send me prayers for my little boy.  WANT HIM HEALTHY!!!!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I never had any genetic testing done.

1likeme
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
That blood test is not used to make a firm diagnosis. That is not what it does. It tells you how likely it is for your child to have certain abnomalities. That's why you are asked if you want further testing to determin the severity or diagnose the baby. It does come with so much worry and that is why many woman decline the test.
ImWhatReally
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quoting 1likeme:

That blood test is not used to make a firm diagnosis. That is not what it does. It tells you how likely it is for your child to have certain abnomalities. That's why you are asked if you want further testing to determin the severity or diagnose the baby. It does come with so much worry and that is why many woman decline the test.

Thanks for your reply.  When this test was done, it was not explained what all they were testing. I was under the impression I was just doing basic blood work.  It wasn't until a few weeks later (after r'cving the basic lab results 2 weeks before, with no mention of the AFP pending) that I r'cvd a phone call telling me about the positive result, explaining what it could mean.  My ob office is wonderful, but, lacked a little in communicating or maybe it was my lack of concentration at the time and I didn't hear or comprehend all the information coming at me. 

If i would have been more prepared and educated, I would have declined this test.  This pregnancy came as a total shock (good surprise, but, SHOCK). So I had SO much going through my head at this point ...

I was in the middle of planning a rushed wedding due to my husband-to-be about to be deployed overseas for a long time, the company I had been working for decided not to renew their contract in the city I was working in and the main company was 2 hours away ... so i lost a GREAT job, had just moved in with hubby-to-bed & his 7yr old daughter, almost 30 miles away from "my home, family, friends, old life" ... then BAMMMM! You're pregnant. haha  I had a LOT on my mind ...  Still do! haha  This was all with in a 3 month time frame. When I do something I GO ALL OUT! lol

jess227ny
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Please dont take this the wrong way but this is the problem with our system. I too declined the test but was also almost swept into having it done. Definitely ask a lot of questions and if your ob isn't willing to answer find someone who will. Honestly, most testing is just the usual not taylored for you. You have a right to decline any testing. For example internal exams towards the end....pointless. I had so many with my first because I didn't know second time around was 4 years later and I took total control of my pregnancy this time around.

Don't stress I know it's hard but the stress won't change anything other than drive you batty. Take a breather and start asking questions. There is a great natural birth and parenting group on here that can be of great help. And congratulations:)

Quoting ImWhatReally:

Quoting 1likeme:

Thanks for your reply.  When this test was done, it was not explained what all they were testing. I was under the impression I was just doing basic blood work.  It wasn't until a few weeks later (after r'cving the basic lab results 2 weeks before, with no mention of the AFP pending) that I r'cvd a phone call telling me about the positive result, explaining what it could mean.  My ob office is wonderful, but, lacked a little in communicating or maybe it was my lack of concentration at the time and I didn't hear or comprehend all the information coming at me. 

If i would have been more prepared and educated, I would have declined this test.  This pregnancy came as a total shock (good surprise, but, SHOCK). So I had SO much going through my head at this point ...

I was in the middle of planning a rushed wedding due to my husband-to-be about to be deployed overseas for a long time, the company I had been working for decided not to renew their contract in the city I was working in and the main company was 2 hours away ... so i lost a GREAT job, had just moved in with hubby-to-bed & his 7yr old daughter, almost 30 miles away from "my home, family, friends, old life" ... then BAMMMM! You're pregnant. haha  I had a LOT on my mind ...  Still do! haha  This was all with in a 3 month time frame. When I do something I GO ALL OUT! lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

It is an option, you dont have to do it. I did not have the tests done. I feel if my child is going to have special needs of some sort, ill deal with it when i have my child. I dont need to spend my pregnancy worried to death. I think it is good they have the option, for those who want to, i think let nature rule, that works for me. Good luck and im sending positive thoughts to you and your baby. Keep us updated.

luvinmyJM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

First, I hope that your baby is healthy, and I hope for you  to not let all of this stress you out. I realize that is so much easier to say than do though. I chose not to have the testing done as well.

MlkandCookies
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Then you shouldnt have had one. You need to take responsibility for your health a pregnancy and ask questions.

virgochild79
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I'm sorry, I declined the test with both my children. I refuse to be put through that type of worry.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I didn't have but two tests before I decided no more. I decided that the pregnancy would be much happier and stress free if I stopped worrying. It wasn't like the test are always accurate and if there was a problem, I wasn't "making a choice" anyway, I was having a baby.
He was born healthy btw.
mommieof
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Never did the testing with any of my 4 kids I see no point because no matter what I wouldn't terminate so why put that stress on your mind you know? I figured I'd enjoy my pregnancies and be happy with whatever god gave me. I know 3 people with false positives do I'm anti the test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)