Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Upgrading our cars

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

So right now we are a family of 5. We rarely go anywhere with all of us at the same time and end up taking 2 cars a lot, somehow. Right now me and DH each have a normal 5 seater car. I don't like driving big cards, but want to upgrade. I currently have an Elantra which is perfect for me. I was thinking of moving up to a Tuscon or Sante Fe, but, there is not anymore than 5 person seating and the trunk looks smaller.

My question is, have any of you recently moved from a sedan type car to a cross over vehicle? Do you see a space difference. Do they really seem bigger to drive?

PS - I am not worried about extra kids in my car, if I don't have room to drive the nieghborhood kids everywhere, then oh well. I am really only concerned about fitting MY family in there.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

We went from a Civic to a Nissan Rogue, and there's definitely a big difference.  You're higher, and you have more space.  The back seat is still kind of cramped for longer trips, but we only have one kid, so rarely is this an issue.  My cousin has 3 kids in car seats, and they drive a CRV.  It works for them!  They're very happy with it, and do a lot of traveling (they come visit us and their parents, who are all several hours away).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

hurricanesfan
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

We just upgraded my husbands car from a little saturn to a Chevy Traverse that seats 8. We are happy with the extra room. We can now take out of town family in one car and we can get bigger items that wouldn't fit in our other cars. 

2boysmommy867
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Right now I have a mini van ... works perfect for me since i have my 2 kids and then when summer hits and it is day camp time I can car pool.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the ford edge. It is just like driving a car. It handles sooo well and drives soooo smooth.
Good amount of cargo space too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I wish I could help, but I went from a Suburban to a Civic. LOL Major downsize!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livysmom04
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Wish I could help. I just went from a Ford Escape to a Dodge Grand Caravan. I only have 1 child but we are on the road all the time and I wanted something larger. Plus my gas mileage is better in the van because it's not 4wd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
We have a 2011 Tuscon and there isn't a ton of room. We have 2 in HBB so the middle is tight. If they were in a LBB we could easily get three across.

My sis has a Sante Fe and loves it. Hers has the third row and she takes 6-7 co-workers out all the time for lunch. All her passengers have plenty of room. Her santa fe handles the same as our Tuscon. Both are very car-like to drive. Our other car is a durango and that is like driving a tank.

We love our Hyundai and so does my sis and my dad (he has santa fe too). Oh, and the sante fe can fit tons in the trunk...and gets decent gas milage (our tuscon avgs 27 theirs about 21).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WandBmamma
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I drive a Caddilac SRX which is a cross breed of a car and a suv! It fts 5 perfectly and I have a TON of "trunk" space and option to put in a third row seat (which I dont ned so wont do) I LOVE my car!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaboo22
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info! I have been going back and forth between Tuscon and Sante Fe - mostly because like I said, I like my smaller cars. 2 of our girls are in booster seats and one is getting ready to be in the front seat all the time. And like I said, its rare that all 5 of us are in the car together. I really want to stick with Hyundai because I am short, and I fit so well in them. I wasn't sure really what the difference was between Tuscon and Sante Fe but you just helped!!!! Thanks again. Guess I will just test drive them both, when the time comes. (just to give you a clue how I am -- DH has a grand Prix and it drives me crazy when I have to drive it because I feel like its soooo long and wide. ha ha)

Quoting vermontmoms:

We have a 2011 Tuscon and there isn't a ton of room. We have 2 in HBB so the middle is tight. If they were in a LBB we could easily get three across.

My sis has a Sante Fe and loves it. Hers has the third row and she takes 6-7 co-workers out all the time for lunch. All her passengers have plenty of room. Her santa fe handles the same as our Tuscon. Both are very car-like to drive. Our other car is a durango and that is like driving a tank.

We love our Hyundai and so does my sis and my dad (he has santa fe too). Oh, and the sante fe can fit tons in the trunk...and gets decent gas milage (our tuscon avgs 27 theirs about 21).

MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I have a saturn vue which is a small suv and would love to get a honda pilot which has third row seating and is only a little bit bigger. Were a family of four and a third seat isn't really necessary though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)