Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Hysterectomy at 35????

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 34 Replies

So I've suffered with really bad periods since the day I got my first one. Horrible cramps and heavy bleeding that lasts 7-8 days. In the last year they have gotten worse. I take 800mg ibuprofen every 5 hours and that just barely takes the edge off for the first 3-4 days. I also am starting every 24 days not 28. I won't go into any more detail because its gross, but my life is definitely affected by this. Add pms  time and I usually only feel really good for about 2 weeks out of the month.

So yesterday I went for my yearly checkup with a new gyno. And she gave me some options that would help. One is an outpatient procedure called endometrial ablation where they destroy the lining of the uterus, and this is supposed to stop or reduce your bleeding. But results vary and it may not be permanent. The other option is a partial hysterectomy where they remove only the uterus but not the ovaries or any other parts. This is a surgery, so recovery takes longer, but it is permanent.  Of course both have risks.

Wanted to know what you would do or if anyone has had any of these procedures done?

I will mention that I had my tubes tied after my second baby and have tried birth control and an iud. Did not work for me.

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom4fun695
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

First off, HUGS .. I 100 % know what you're going thru.. You pretty much described my situation a few yrs ago. I was having really really bad cycles that would never want to stop and so on... We did the ablation first, but unfortunately it doesn't always work. About 2 of 3 months after that, we did the hysterectomy without removing the ovaries.. 6 months later, the left ovary had to go b/c of complications and 2 yrs ago, the right ovary came out when I almost died from a different problem. ( long story ).

Once I was able to get on the hormones, I feel soooo much better. I wish you all the best and I hope you can get some relief soon. As I said, I know exactly what you are going thru..

hugs 

Kat940
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM
I want a hysterectomy and I'm 33. My periods have been nuts since I had my tubes tied 3 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_29
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I am 34 and I agree..I had my tubes tied 11 years ago and mine are heavy and then I go three or four months with nothing then it gets worse again..I just want it all out!

Quoting Kat940:

I want a hysterectomy and I'm 33. My periods have been nuts since I had my tubes tied 3 years ago.

Gailll
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I always had horrible periods. I had endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Doctors suggested surgery including hysterectomy several times. By having 3 babies and breastfeeding and not having periods for a year or more after each I was able to reduce the number of years I had periods. Most of the rest of the time I was on the pill. I was so happy when I hit perimenopause. Menopause was easy for me and now I am glad I never had any surgery.

The only issue I had was that I had pulmonary emboli while on the pill. It could have been the pill that cause the clots or it could have been because of a bad clotting disorder gene I found out I have or because I have a central IV line for IVs I have to have for another genetic disease I have. I was close to a hospital and my son is a nurse so they figured out I was having pulmonary emboli quickly and I was able to get treatment within an hour. If I would have been out camping or if there would have been a problem with getting the right diagnosis I may have died before my youngest child was an adult. 

Knightquester
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Me too, only my tubal was 7 and a half years ago.

Quoting Kat940:

danarae1976
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

My friend had the ablation done and she loves it !!    She spots a little bit and she said she feels 100% better. 

lincolnlady
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Quoting mom4fun695:

First off, HUGS .. I 100 % know what you're going thru.. You pretty much described my situation a few yrs ago. I was having really really bad cycles that would never want to stop and so on... We did the ablation first, but unfortunately it doesn't always work. About 2 of 3 months after that, we did the hysterectomy without removing the ovaries.. 6 months later, the left ovary had to go b/c of complications and 2 yrs ago, the right ovary came out when I almost died from a different problem. ( long story ).

Once I was able to get on the hormones, I feel soooo much better. I wish you all the best and I hope you can get some relief soon. As I said, I know exactly what you are going thru..

hugs 

I am so sorry you had to go through all that. Geez that is scary. I am so glad you are feeling better. What were the complications you first had with the hysterectomy that caused you to take out your left ovarie, if you don't mind me asking? I actually have an ultrasound and a biopsy scheduled for later this month. I really want relief, just don't know what to try next.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I had a friend that did this and it caused her horrible pain and she ended up needing a hysterectomy 3 months later. When the choice was given to me, i opted for the hysterectomy (just uterus, i still have my ovaries). Two reasons i did was because i couldnt risk needing a second surgery and time off work (i am a single mom) and i was done having kids completely. After 2 children and 4 miscarriages i couldnt risk getting preg again. The only 100% effective option was the hysterectomy. I had mine a yr and a half ago and wish i had done it sooner. I suffered for so much of my adult life with bleeding so bad i could not leave the bathroom more than 15 minutes some days.... i was in the ER twice due to hemmoraging, so yes i HAD to do something.
my advice would be do the hysterectomy... keeping your ovaries, you still have your normal hormonal cycles and your peace of mind and quality of life will be so much better! Feel free to ask any questions (i ws 35 also and i was able to have mine done vaginally so recovery time was fast)

Quoting danarae1976:

My friend had the ablation done and she loves it !!    She spots a little bit and she said she feels 100% better. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I have a good friend having an ablation done next Friday.  It sounds like you are having similar problems and I wouldn't want to go into more detail than you did because it is quite gross.  Isn't it great that you can go into all the nasty details with your friends?

Anyway she opted for the ablation because it is an out patient procedure and won't require her to take any time off from work, other than Friday.  With the hysterectomy, she would have had to be off of work for weeks and it is major surgery with a hospital stay.

hazeleyedsiren
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I can 100% relate. I started my cycles kind of young (age 10) and had severe cramps most of the time. I also had heavy bleeding. I also suffer from PMDD.  After I had both of my kids I had a tubal done then thermal ablation. I had light bleeding but still had severe cramps and horrible PMDD symptoms which increased each year.  I lasted a total of 6 years and I'm now 38 and just had a hysterectomy (TAH) done on Dec. 28th. My doctor took everything but one ovary and tube. So far I feel much better and I can tell a difference already. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN