Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think your degree determines how healthy you are?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Do you agree?

Surprise Health Secret: A College Degree?

Posted by Kim Conte on March 2, 2012 

college degree

It's been drilled again and again into our noggins that a college degree can help us get a leg up on our careers. But there's apparently another benefit linked to having a college education that isn't as intuitive. According to a new study, people who've earned a bachelor's degree may actually be healthier in their 20s than those who have not. In case you think that sounds vague, "healthier" in this instance means having fewer symptoms of depression and having a higher self-rating of health.

Good to know, but I think I'm going to take this opportunity to use my college degree and declare this study to be a whole lot of hogwash ...

True, there are statistics out there about college graduates having lower smoking rates and higher exercise rates than non-college graduates. Still, the majority of college graduates in their 20s that I know -- no matter who they are compared to -- have no business at all being described as "healthy."

Think about it: Lots of college graduates spend the majority of their 20s (and sometimes even longer) saddled with student loans and worried if they should move on to the next thing with all that debt. You can't tell me that all that financial stress doesn't have some effect on their mental health. And not only that, but many college graduates are all too happy to continue some of the habits they fine-tuned in college well into adulthood (and here I'm talking about binge drinking, staying up all night, and smoking god knows what). I just can't in good faith believe that there are all these superhuman healthy 20-somethings walking around out there! Where are you healthy people?

At the end of the day, I know lots of healthy people and lots of unhealthy people, and from what I can tell, there's no noticeable pattern as to how many degrees they each have. Rather, their health is determined by their habits and whether they have a vested interest in taking care of themselves. I'm willing to bet that education level doesn't have anything to do with it.

Do you think your degree determines how healthy you are?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowi
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM
No. I have a degree hubby does not. He is healthier than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM
This is us too.

Quoting snowi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2rays0fsun
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I can see that. I don't think it goes for everyone, but definitely in neighborhoods/areas where there are few college grads (low social/economic status) there are aLOT more health issues, dietary problems etc. Even with the young people but all the way into old age. I don't think it's so much the degree in itself, as gaining exposure to new ideas and things. and becoming self aware about health and potential.

adalynnsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My hubby is a pretty health guy he has BA.  I don't how much his health has to do with his BA, or with me keeping him that ;)  I get where having a degree can make a person happier and feel better about themselves.  It takes time and a lot of hard work, quite an accomplishment. And it can open doors and lead to a better stander of life. 

Now I don't have a BA, I have an AA.  I don't think I would feel any better about myself if I went back to school and got my BA (I don't even know what I would go for).  i am happy with myself, because I am doing what I have always known I wanted to do.  That is a house wife and stay at home mom.  Too me that is so much fulfilling than schooling.  I think college is great, and I am glad that I got to go and have the experance.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM
It's the reverse for us. I have a degree, DH doesn't and I am healthier. But DH has diabetes so that plays a big part in his overall health.

Quoting snowi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletPlacebo
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Neither one of us have degrees and we're the most healthy people in both of our families (lots of them have degrees). I don't think it has much to do with anything.

mommyofgirl1974
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Same here.

Quoting snowi:

hache2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Just nosy...what do you do?

Quoting adalynnsmom:

My hubby is a pretty health guy he has BA.  I don't how much his health has to do with his BA, or with me keeping him that ;)  I get where having a degree can make a person happier and feel better about themselves.  It takes time and a lot of hard work, quite an accomplishment. And it can open doors and lead to a better stander of life. 

Now I don't have a BA, I have an AA.  I don't think I would feel any better about myself if I went back to school and got my BA (I don't even know what I would go for).  i am happy with myself, because I am doing what I have always known I wanted to do.  That is a house wife and stay at home mom.  Too me that is so much fulfilling than schooling.  I think college is great, and I am glad that I got to go and have the experance.

MJblessed
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I could see this as being true. I don't have a degree and have a job without benefits and three children. I can't seem to get out of this trap and it stresses me out. Co-pay after illness that I cannot afford. I wish I had went to college.

adalynnsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I am house wife and a stay at home mom.  When I was little I knew all I really wanted was to be a mom. 

Quoting hache2:

Just nosy...what do you do?

Quoting adalynnsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)