Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Its scary but feel some Moms are over reacting.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Apparently in the area where my kids used to go to school and Where we live there was a Red car that tried picking up 2 girls walking home from school. Now that it happened in our area a lot of the Moms are now freaking out saying they aren't letting their kids play outside unless they are there to watch them the whole time, they won't let their kids go around the block like they used to.

All I said was that it happens everywhere, you can't stop your kids from playing just because this incident happened so close to home. I let my son go down the block on Sunday with a friend but he didnt have a phone but when he got to his friends he called me, let me know where he was and where he was going, called again when he was leaving etc. I always tell him he has to ride his bike or scooter if he plans on going out front because I don't want him walking anywhere, its safer to have wheels. Also when we are waiting at the bus stop the kids and I play a "Game" where we try to memorize the license plates that drive by. I told the kids if they are ever in trouble try to write any information they possibly can anywhere especially on a dirty car is a good idea.

I think all we can do is teach our kids how to stay safe and stay protected, I myself was almost kidnapped when I was younger but I was taught to run to the first house where I knew someone and call for help. That saved me, they never found the guy who was driving but if I wasn't taught the things I was taught who knows where I would be.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (351-360):
jennc1977
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM

This is a tough one to lean towards. I think it would depend on several factors. I live in a neighborhood that has a school, police station and a fire department at the end of the street. Also, I live directly beside a school so no registered sex offenders. My son is 11, he has a phone. He can play in a four house radius. 2 houses to the left, 2 houses to the right which means I can see him from my front windows. He feels like he has freedom to play without me hoovering. I also know that there have been plenty of accidents and children reported missing when a parents takes thier eyes off the child for a second. If it is going to happen, it will happen. We can not wrap them in bubble wrap. This coming from a very overprotective mom when he was little. Then I had to learn to trust my parents, trust in God and trust that my son will make the right decisions. Would I liketo lock him up and never let him out of my sight, yes, but what kind of life would that be?

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I think I may fall in the Overprotective Mom category as well - I cannot fanthom the day I will let my daughter go to the park by herself even if it's litterally down the street from our house.  For now I let her play in the back yard (which is fenced) alone, if she's in the front, riding her bike or whatever, I am always there watching whether I'm sitting on the front steps or watching her through the living room window.   Just recently her brand new bike got stolen right out of our front yard ... and I live in a safe, middle class,family oriented area.  So yeah ... if someone has the balls to walk on my property, up the driveway and steal a child's bike, anything can happen

Tyler0102
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM
I dont think I would be one to overreact. However, I already dont let my daughter play outside alone or walk anywhere without an adult that I know. There are so many things that can happen. Im not stopping my daughter from playing, im ensuring her safety
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gothmom21
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Having been abused as a child, what ur neighbors feel and do about their children is absolutly the right thing to do. You should always keep an eye on your children, dont let them go anywhere without a parent. If i could put a gps chip in my kid, i would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
c_ramirez8606
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM

My opinion is that, every parent has the right to raise their child the way they want to. No one should judge them. Do want you think is best for your child and leave other people alone. Only put your to sense in if the child is in danger.

My children are 5 and 13 months. SO I don't have to worry about them playing outside alone. I'm not sure what I am going to do in a few years when my 5 year old is older and wants to playoutside alone. Only time will tell.

grnsmomma
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I guess it depends on how old the kids are.  I think I'll be one of those mothers who stands out watching the kids play until they are 12.

mamabearlehman
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I'm the same way. I knowingly overprotect my children. You can't trust anyone anymore

Quoting IGotItMaid:

Never can be too safe. I have 2 boys 12 & 7 & i watch them the whole time they're outside like a hawk. I watch the news & to see parents crying because thier child got hurt or worse breaks my heart. I over protect them but that's just me & alot of parents are the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_native_dm
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I agree with fourkidsinnc, I have sex offenders in my area as well. And I don't let my kids out of my sight. But they are still very young. I see some of these other small children running around unsupervised and it freaks me out. There are a lot of perverts in this world and maybe i'm a little too worried. But it seems that when you let your gaurd down something bad always happens (in my family's case anyways). DM;)

apriljoy37
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

the world is such a scary place thats for sure! i pray everyday for my son to stay safe.

hecticharmony
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I think its good that you teach your kids tools for safety but you can't fault a parent for wanting to protect their child. It's prob until they have a new plan set to action with their kids. This world isn't what it used to be, and kids do needs to be checked on no matter how old they are and no matter what neighborhood. Wish it wasn't like that!!
www.hecticharmony.net
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)