Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Its scary but feel some Moms are over reacting.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Apparently in the area where my kids used to go to school and Where we live there was a Red car that tried picking up 2 girls walking home from school. Now that it happened in our area a lot of the Moms are now freaking out saying they aren't letting their kids play outside unless they are there to watch them the whole time, they won't let their kids go around the block like they used to.

All I said was that it happens everywhere, you can't stop your kids from playing just because this incident happened so close to home. I let my son go down the block on Sunday with a friend but he didnt have a phone but when he got to his friends he called me, let me know where he was and where he was going, called again when he was leaving etc. I always tell him he has to ride his bike or scooter if he plans on going out front because I don't want him walking anywhere, its safer to have wheels. Also when we are waiting at the bus stop the kids and I play a "Game" where we try to memorize the license plates that drive by. I told the kids if they are ever in trouble try to write any information they possibly can anywhere especially on a dirty car is a good idea.

I think all we can do is teach our kids how to stay safe and stay protected, I myself was almost kidnapped when I was younger but I was taught to run to the first house where I knew someone and call for help. That saved me, they never found the guy who was driving but if I wasn't taught the things I was taught who knows where I would be.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (51-60):
StevensCare4u
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM

My girls are 9 & 7, we live on a small dead end street. I dont even let them outside unless in the back, which is fenced, without an adult the entire time. I just dont feel that until they are teens that they are mature enough to be running the streets alone. Even when they want to go across the street to their friends house they cant leave until I watch out the door for them to go & come back. People are just not trustworthy. I wont even trust neighbors unless im close with them.

ac10
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Well, did they catch the driver? If not, they are not overreacting.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I don't think its an over reaction or too much to ask to keep an eye on your young children.

Many children were abducted from front yards, walking in their own neighborhood or while on their bikes 

Undomesticated
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I live in a ski resort town in Vermont.  Too many tourists coming and going up and down our streets (some of them renting out houses around us, or even owning houses next to us as their 2nd ski home).

While I'm a bit more relaxed about being a helicopter mom, I do still tend to make sure that if my kids are outside, then either me or my husband is outside as well.

It's way too easy in my town for a ski tourist to pick up a local kid and never be seen again.

Even though I feel like I'm laid back about it as much as I can, I'm probably considered the overbearing mother because of it.  It's a small town that my husband grew up in.  All the locals know each other and grew up together.  None of them feel like anything bad will ever happen.  But, I grew up in Ann Arbor, Mich.  I remember reading a story in the paper when I was about 12 about a young college girl walking home after classes.  Someone was following behind her, and when she unlocked her door, they pushed their way in behind her and killed her.  So, yeah, I've grown up around the big and bad stuff going on.  I've seen someone get shot in Ypsi, Mich.  So, in my small town, I'm a little more exposed to the bad stuff, and am fully aware of things that can happen, even in this small community.

But, at the same time, I try to be more laid back and allow my kids some freedom.  For me, that just means letting them run around out back while I sit in a chair in a sunny location and read my kindle so that I can look up and watch them.  I think you have to do what is right for your family.  And, I agree, teaching your kids how to react in certain situations is very smart.  Memorizing plate numbers, learning how to describe people's characteristics, etc.

Char07
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
To me that would be overreacting. I don't blame them but wouldn't react that way myself. We would talk about it more (as if that's possible, talking about every stranger situation is one of my dd's favorite things to talk about) and I may be more cautious especially if there was a person going around nit caught. I have to say I'm rather surprised at the number of people who won't let their kids go around the block until they are 13 or so.
Melanie420
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM

whats wrong with watching your kids play outside, they may be "overreacting" to you but they dont want their children raped, kidnapped, or dead......it happens more often now than it used to

Melanie420
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Quoting Char07:

To me that would be overreacting. I don't blame them but wouldn't react that way myself. We would talk about it more (as if that's possible, talking about every stranger situation is one of my dd's favorite things to talk about) and I may be more cautious especially if there was a person going around nit caught. I have to say I'm rather surprised at the number of people who won't let their kids go around the block until they are 13 or so.

what happens when your get gets grabbed and pulled into a car and takes off, not every person who kidnapped children tried to get them to get in the car themselves, kids get grabbed

Kmary
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM
9 moms liked this

I agree with you completely, OP.  And I can't stand hearing moms say that "things are different now."  Actually, they are different.  They're safer.  That's right, folks.  Crime rates are actually down from when we were children and the abduction rate by a stranger has not changed in several decades.  Look it up.  So either our parents were wildly irresponsible, or they were aware that these sorts of incidents are so unbelievably rare (and can be fought against in some instances by knowing what to do) that they didn't feel the need to hinder our normal, childhood fun by not allowing us out of their sight.  Your kid is more likely to be struck by lightning multiple times in one day than to be abducted.  Your child is also more likely to die from falling out of their bed at night, but I bet you still put them to bed every single night. 

If you truly cared about your kid's safety, you'd never drive them anywhere.  Car accidents are the number one killer of children.  If the national news reported every child fatality by car accident every day, they wouldn't have time left in the broadcast to report anything else.  I'm not saying we should stop driving our cars, but just trying to provide some perspective here.  We go to great lengths to prevent something that almost never happens, but we put our kids in very real danger every day.  Just some food for thought.

FLmommy0204
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm with you on this one.  You cannot inprision a child just to protect them.  There's a lot going on in the world and one day they will leave your side whether you like it or not.  So they need time now to start learning.  Teach them things to watch for and ways to protect themselves, but don't shelter them. 

sashamom03
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM
We live in a small subdivision of about 45 houses. Last summer my eight year old daughter has dealt with some mean girls. She is not allowed to wander around the neighborhood anymore unless she gets on her bicycle too.
Lisa
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN