Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Its scary but feel some Moms are over reacting.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Apparently in the area where my kids used to go to school and Where we live there was a Red car that tried picking up 2 girls walking home from school. Now that it happened in our area a lot of the Moms are now freaking out saying they aren't letting their kids play outside unless they are there to watch them the whole time, they won't let their kids go around the block like they used to.

All I said was that it happens everywhere, you can't stop your kids from playing just because this incident happened so close to home. I let my son go down the block on Sunday with a friend but he didnt have a phone but when he got to his friends he called me, let me know where he was and where he was going, called again when he was leaving etc. I always tell him he has to ride his bike or scooter if he plans on going out front because I don't want him walking anywhere, its safer to have wheels. Also when we are waiting at the bus stop the kids and I play a "Game" where we try to memorize the license plates that drive by. I told the kids if they are ever in trouble try to write any information they possibly can anywhere especially on a dirty car is a good idea.

I think all we can do is teach our kids how to stay safe and stay protected, I myself was almost kidnapped when I was younger but I was taught to run to the first house where I knew someone and call for help. That saved me, they never found the guy who was driving but if I wasn't taught the things I was taught who knows where I would be.

Owner of Groups:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114224  May 2005 Kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114223 September 2002 kids

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116341 Once Upon A Time (TV Series)

by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (81-90):
PinkParadox
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you...especially depending on the age of the children.  It nevers hurts to "be safe"...of course you want to take precaution...but, the best way you can protect your children...is by giving them the information and tools to protect themselves.  

samurai_chica
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe i overreact about it, but i know my daughter is safe. To each their own.

BonitaM
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I live in a fairly safe community but I don't let DD go to the park down the street by herself.  I know she can and that she'd be safe but if anything ever did happen the guilt would eat me alive.  Maybe in a few years I'll feel different but I'm thankful that DD likes holding my hand when we go to stores and I don't let her wander the aisles by herself.  I just don't trust people so my DD is super glued to me until I feel she knows how to handle a situation like that.  We talk to her about stranger danger and I want her to take TaeKwonDo.  She is allowed to play in our yard unsupervised if she wants to and at my parent's place she's free to go wherever she likes....it's completely safe there.

SarahsAMommy
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I'm one of those over reacting mothers. My son is not allowed to play outside without me. And if I have to run inside for anything, he is to come stand on the porch. If I have to go to the bathroom, he comes in the house with me. He's very friendly with everyone. I don't think he understands "stranger danger" yet. Yesterday he was walking around trying to tell everyone he saw his name! I tried to explain you can't do that. My son is way to trusting. Where I live there have been many issues with stuff like this. I'm not taking anything away he's never had so maybe I'm not as bad as some mom's. They also think he has autism. So he's not at his age level. But I don't think that would matter.

Des10ed2b
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

something similar happened near our house. the principal called to let us all know and to let us know we should talk to our children so that they are prepared. Apparently a guy in a dark SUV pulled up next to a middle schooler walking home and said that he was lost and had a map and wanted to see if the little girl could help him figure out where to go. She was smarter than that and refused. He then said he had a gun and he would shoot her if she didnt get in the car. She ran. the guy drove off. End of story. I dont know if anyone ever caught him or not, and yes, its creepy. but only a TOTAL idiot would do it in the exact same area where everyone is now aware and watching. My kids are only 6 and 3, so obviously they are not out without me yet. but it hasnt stopped me from taking them for walks and going to the park and what not. 

Des10ed2b
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM

i should also add that we live in a good area. it is not a high crime area. I can literally see the police station from my front porch. we are only a half mile from the elementary school. it is a nice, lower-middle class, suburban neighborhood. 

sha_lyn68
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I think you are under reaction.  So because it can happen anywhere you refuse to be a mother and protect your children? Memorizing the license plates of cars isn't going to help your son if he is dead in the trunk.

jediGert
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You are a smarter mom than most.  I had the same thing happen as a kid and it was my parents teacing me about how to handle strangers who offer candy or ask for directions... tell them you will go ask your dad.  Well, I did and my dad chased the guy off with a brick. lol.

Lynette
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

you know the Jacob Wetterling case?  Yeah he was on his bike with a friend and his brother.  But was NEVER found after he was taken by gun point.  If I heard that something recently tried to pick up some kids in a car I would be more cautious too.

dilateyourmind
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Good for you for staying normal Mama!

BIG MEDIA makes everything scarier today. The rest of you  fel free to stay in you rbox. That way YOUR out of my way!:) Cause I am still gonna live too!

The gaain if your kid is th eonly kid out there, he is eays target........hmmmmmmm...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)