Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

I threatened to call the cops on the neighbor kid...

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son is acquainted with a neighbor kid, the kid is 11.  He's come in our house, he's decorated cookies with us, we gave him Christmas presents.  We had a lot of strange things happen in the neighborhood, trash left on our doorstep, chocolate frosting smeared all over our door.  We knew it was probably a kid doing it, but we didn't know who.  Tonight we were ding donged ditched, and I heard the person run away after ringing the door bell, and I chased after them.  It was dark so I couldn't see who I was chasing, when I caught up, it was the 11 year old neighbor kid.  I told him if he EVER messed with my house again, Id call the cops.. My question is, was I too harsh?  He immediately started crying, and I felt bad!

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM

no ..if his parent wont make him stop than someone has to ..teach his ass a lesson.

Ann7227
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Scare him this time . Then next time call the police on him. I'd say kids being kids but if they are damaging your property that crosses the line.

amax2010
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

No as long as you didn't yell at him you weren't to harsh. He may have meant it as a harmless prank, but it seems he went over board. Next time hes around you may want to have alittle talk with him about whats okay and that these things aren't funny. You may want to have a talk with his parents, if they don't know what happened but find out you said that to their kid they may get angry with you. Maybe have a sit down with him and the parents...

AubreeLynn7
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

No not at all! I would go over to his house & have a talk with him & his parents & let him know it's not ok to be doing those things.

IGotItMaid
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Not harsh at all. It's odvious he needs a stern parent to talk to him let him know what he's doing is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SugarrCane
Thank you ladies for all the birthday wishes! :)
Yesterday at 10:52 PM
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

If all he did was ring the door bell and run perhaps you could give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't do those other things.  I could be wrong but unless you actually saw him doing those other things.

divinedimension
by Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

DId you ask him why?

heyma4
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM

No, and you should call the cops. We had the same issue with a neighbor kid. He was always over, always sweet. Until I turned my back. One time he even chipped my sons front tooth on concrete. I was going to call the police then, but after talking with him I didn't because he seemed genuinely sorry. After that though it got worse, and then trouble started at my boys school. In the end, because I did not take action when I should have, my boys were blamed for a lot of his doing and his mother tried to press charges on my kids for a fight between this boy and my son. He said my younger son jumped him after they got off the bus, and my older one helped him. The mom went to school with this and we were called in to the office with an officer there waiting to ticket us and everything. turns out the kid was too scared to lie to the officer and said he hit my son in the face and my other boy was no where around. Hopefully you scared him straight,  but I would not bet on it.

BrookieCookie1
by Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Yes. Do you really feel that this has caused your family so much pain and suffering that he needs to be thrown into the juvenille justice system? Put on probation? Now, threatening to do it is different than actually doing it, so as far as you saying it, no that's not harsh, but I wouldn't seriously consider doing it for real, at least not before speaking to his parents before calling the law on what sounds like a garden variety ornery boy. Besides, what he;s doing doesn't necessarily count as destruction of property. What if someone got raped or killed while you were pestering the cops with tales of evil icing smeared on your door? Get a paper towel and calm down, the police do have more important matters to deal with. Takl to his parents if it doesn't stop, but I can't fathom why getting the police involved for something sp trivial would eem perfectly acceptable to the masses...Sheesh!

Pacino1982
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

Yes. Do you really feel that this has caused your family so much pain and suffering that he needs to be thrown into the juvenille justice system? Put on probation? Now, threatening to do it is different than actually doing it, so as far as you saying it, no that's not harsh, but I wouldn't seriously consider doing it for real, at least not before speaking to his parents before calling the law on what sounds like a garden variety ornery boy. Besides, what he;s doing doesn't necessarily count as destruction of property. What if someone got raped or killed while you were pestering the cops with tales of evil icing smeared on your door? Get a paper towel and calm down, the police do have more important matters to deal with. Takl to his parents if it doesn't stop, but I can't fathom why getting the police involved for something sp trivial would eem perfectly acceptable to the masses...Sheesh!

If the matter is not serious, why would he be thrown in juvenile hall or be put on probation?  You completely contradicted yourself...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)