Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

rent or own ?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 62 Replies

we currently pay rent on the townhouse we live in. we have rented for a few years now, apartment  and townhome. we want to rent a house when our lease is up. well, actually my husband wants to buy and i want to rent. we've been in the same location for about 6 years but are planning to go about 40 min. more south when moving. so that is why i'd prefer to rent a year to "test the waters" there. would you own or rent then? and by the way, do you prefer having maintenance/staff fix your housing/yard problems or for you yourself to fix the problems?

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Bobbie on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM
I prefer owning our home. I'm never comfortable in a rental. I've only rented twice in my life and both places sucked. We bought this house at 20 and never looked back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whitmomoftwo
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM
We rent everywhere we go, husband is in retail management and gets relocated every few years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
I prefer to own. I like being able to do what I want with my house/property and our mortgage payment is actually less than when we rented.
Nikaniko
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
We rent and will for a long time. My husband is military and we move around every 4 yrs give or take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissa632
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
3 moms liked this
We rent a house. I'd like to own someday. I do like having maintenance & pest control included in my rent, though. We're not in a position to be paying for any major repairs right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifferie
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
We are renting for a tear. We have the option to buy if we like the area. We are new and don't wanna be stuck in a house if the area doesn't agree with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

If I were moving somewhere new, I'd rent first, to make sure I liked the area.  Once we figured that out, we'd buy.

I do prefer having things fixed for me, at no cost though, lol.  We rent a house so the yard stuff is up to us.  Everything else is fixed through our landlord.  

It's a trade though.  You pay more for rent than you would a mortgage.  I'm sure it balances it out the cost of upkeep.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

styler7
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Rent, military.
My husband has 4 yrs until retirement and we will buy then ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
our3
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I prefer owning and fixing my own things. I rented for years and now am finally rent and mortage free, it was so worth the move out of state.

babydue1105
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM
I own and prefer it to renting. But if I was moving to a new area I would rent for a few months first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN