Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hawaii

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am leaving for hawaii later.

Need advice.

What to do? Any good restos/ cafes? Places I must visit? 

Will appreciate your replies, thanks!

writing dandelion mom

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM
I've never been, but have fun! Bump!
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM
What island? Have a blast!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunbaby77
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this

If you're going to do a luau, do NOT go to the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Go to the Paradise Cove Luau.  The food is great (and totally authentic w/ the roasted pig and all), you have pitchers of Mai Tais and Blue Hawaiis on your table, the entertainment is great, and the setting is beautiful.  The Polynesian Cultural Center is ran by mormans, so the Hawaiian dancers are all covered up, there is no alcohol, and it's just not authentic at all.

Go here!

http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/

sunbaby77
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I would also recommend spending less time in Waikiki (which is all tourist and fake, crowded beaches), and spend more time on the North Shore.  Rent a car and take the H2 highway through the pineapple fields (with windows down) which goes from the south shore to the north shore.  Stop to buy some pineapple and apple bananas on the side of the road along the way.  Take some hikes if you can.  Visit Waimea Bay (great beach), and definitely go snorkling at Hanauma Bay.  

We lived there for 4 years, and we miss it.  It's just beautiful.  If you can island hop, I would recommend going to Kauai over any other island.  Kauai is what we think of when we think of Hawaii - untouched and breathtaking.

chinosruca
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Ive lived in Hawaii the last 25 years. The only real advice: stay away from Waikiki (if you are going to be on Oahu) if you want to experience Hawaii. Waikiki beach is currently under construction & over crowded. There are a lot of tourist "traps" in Waikiki and I hate going there. I only go to the beach (it is only a few minutes from my house), the zoo and aquarium with my kids.

Will you be on Oahu?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RavishingMama
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

So jealous!  I've never been...take lots of pics!

Miss-B
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I went last April, to Oahu, and flew over to Maui...Hmm, our travel agent have everything planned. Go to a Luau. They're fun!

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I've been to three of the islands, Kauai (my favorite), Oahu, and the Big Island... and they're all different, so it kind of makes a difference to know which island.

I recommend looking into farmers markets near where you're staying, you can get some great prices on fresh fruit and flowers.  Also buying groceries if you have a place with a kitchen... food is likely going to be your largest cost (unless you do any major activities).  It's ridiculous.  Hit Costco if you can.

Avoid the Hilton Luaus, I find they're more about the money and less about the quality of the performance.  I heard great things about the Sheraton one on the Big Island and I wished we'd listened and gone to theirs instead of the Hilton's.  On Kauai I recommend the Smith Family Luau, really great.  

Otherwise, just get out and enjoy the view!!!!  The beaches, the foliage, there's not need to schedule a ton of activities, it's amazing just being there.

Anniebel22
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Eat at one of the food trucks on the side of the road. They have amazing fresh food!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I've never been, but have fun! Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)